Secondary Optimal Tempature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FromtheShadow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the optimal temperature for secondary fermentation? Does it even matter as that point?

I have an Russian imperial stout in a secondary in a room off my basement which is starting to get quite cold. Its down around 50 degrees at the moment. I was wondering if I should move it up to a closet where it is closer to the house temperature.

Thank you!

Secondary fermentation is just used for dry hopping, or as a "clearing" vessel. I'd leave it in the cold. As long as there's no risk of freezing it's just gonna help everything drop out of the beer and clear faster.

Agree, if you can go low with temperature, it will help to clear the beer.

Just make sure the beer is totally done first. If you are the type to rack after 5 days of fermentation, then it needs a little time in the secondary in warm temps to finish up. If you rack for storage, dry hopping, aging, etc, then let it get as cold as it can above 32F and the beer will be better for it.

Back