Mr. Beer(adding sugar and whats best)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagsminers

Reaction score
I've added reg. table sugar too the 16oz. bottles and inconsistent on all sugar mixing properly. Get some sugar caked on the bottom of bottle. What sugar if any is better than table sugar?

I use priming sugar. Not sure if you get it from the store but from your LHBS. It's just sugar but very fine. So it disolves a lot better.

william2010 said:
I use priming sugar. Not sure if you get it from the store but from your LHBS. It's just sugar but very fine. So it disolves a lot better.

Thank You, I also heard of corn sugar. Don't know if that's fine, but thanks again

Corn sugar=dextrose. Which is the priming sugar most LHBS sells.

The best way, is to add it to the container instead of into each bottle. Weigh out how much you need. Fill pot with water, enough to cover the sugar, and boil while stirring for a few min. Cool to the temp of the fermenter then add and stir gently. You don't want to introduce oxygen. This will give you even amount of sugar for each bottle. Use this site http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html to determine how much sugar per gal to add.

corn sugar is what some people call priming sugar. it's also known as dextrose. you could try batch priming which is a bit easier than doing the bottles individually

the table sugar works in Mr. Beer just fine. Mr. Beer suggest to shake the bottles to dissolve the sugar. add the amount of table sugar that Mr.
beer chart says use. after all table sugar is much cheaper does the same job.

Krazykripple said:
corn sugar is what some people call priming sugar. it's also known as dextrose. you could try batch priming which is a bit easier than doing the bottles individually

When doing this, putting in the Mr. Beer 2 gal. fermenter, how would u stir without interrupting it .

oldtrucker said:
the table sugar works in Mr. Beer just fine. Mr. Beer suggest to shake the bottles to dissolve the sugar. add the amount of table sugar that Mr.
beer chart says use. after all table sugar is much cheaper does the same job.

I've Brewed before, heard dextrose was best, there is just to much inconsistency when adding sugar into bottles. Some sugar doesn't get mixed and remains on the bottom hardened.

When doing this, putting in the Mr. Beer 2 gal. fermenter, how would u stir without interrupting it .

I would rack the beer to another container, then add the sugar to your Mr. Beer fermenter to bottle and rack back. The siphon racking will mix the sugar well enough. You could also dissolve the sugar first in purified water which might help a little.

Back