Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see what you did there.. hahah! trying to sell me on those hops.. you got me "almost" still thinking about what i need and what i want to try as/when i go home.. (sadly im brewing 1000 miles away from where i am.. due to not having a house down here sucks!)

I was serious!

haha

No I really was. Ever since I started to go on my brew belgian's kick (along with a few british styles) I have been burning up styrians.

Don't worry though. If they don't get filled up I am already quite happy with my 13lbs of hops. Though I would love to get to 15 lbs....

Looks like we will be spending a couple hours splitting up all these hops!

jeffb418 said:
Anyone object replacing the HU-90NPT Newport with Columbus?

I don't need any Columbus as I have 2# already. But if the newport isn't going to happen, get rid of it and do the columbus, I will remove my split when I get pc access (doing this post on my iPhone).

After some PM's, Mike Bellini and I are splitting the Organic c60 (GW-OC60). It shows up in the Split section, and I removed my bag from the full sack area. So, the count is now corrected back to 82.

HOLY CRAP!

We have 9 splits of hops closed! That's 99LBS OF HOPS!

You guys are nuts :ban:

I think we are safe to close up to 15 hop splits (165lbs =~3 bags) if we stick with 2 pallets. If we go over this, we might have to pull a bag off the order to fit all of the hops, or push to a 3rd pallet (30 more bags). We'll play it by ear, but just giving you my thoughts.

HOLY CRAP!

You guys are nuts :ban:

I think we are safe to close up to 15 hop splits (165lbs =~3 bags) if we stick with 2 pallets. If we go over this, we might have to pull a bag off the order to fit all of the hops, or push to a 3rd pallet (30 more bags). We'll play it by ear, but just giving you my thoughts.

While waiting for my son at track today, I was pondering ordering 11# of cascade or centennial "type" myself. Figured it would "only" be $72, and that way I would have a whole bag to my self. :) I managed to talk myself out of it, but just barely. (I have 4# across two splits as of now.)

Edit: Approximately $71.50 for cascade, $76.01 for centennial "type" (whatever that really means)

While waiting for my son at track today, I was pondering ordering 11# of cascade or centennial "type" myself. Figured it would "only" be $72, and that way I would have a whole bag to my self. :) I managed to talk myself out of it, but just barely. (I have 4# across two splits as of now.)

Edit: Approximately $71.50 for cascade, $76.01 for centennial "type" (whatever that really means)

Centennial Type is not true centennial but a mix of hops to match closely the style and acid level of true Centennial.

Edit:

Here is more info on it: http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/05/centennial-type-hops-for-a-shortage/

So it looks like a mix of Columbus and Cascade. Also note in the catalog its only offered for this year due to the shortage of centennial.

Also just noticed a new catalog came out 4/30 with the following changes that affect us:

Newport (HU-90NPT) is SOLD OUT (and will be removed from the splits section)

All prices remain the same. Spreadsheets checked.

Centennial Type is not true centennial but a mix of hops to match closely the style and acid level of true Centennial.

Edit:

Here is more info on it: http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/05/centennial-type-hops-for-a-shortage/

So it looks like a mix of Columbus and Cascade. Also note in the catalog its only offered for this year due to the shortage of centennial.

Thanks for the link Jeff. According to NB, it is 70% Cascade and 30% Columbus. Since I'm capable of doing grade school / high school math:
(Cascade $/# * .70) + (Columbus $/#*.30) = (6.39*.7) + (5.56*.30) = 4.473 + 1.668 = $6.141.

Since the price of Centennial "Type" is $6.80 in the catalog, they are charging a 10.7% premium to mix the hops.

I have 3# of Centennial Type in my order, spread across the 2 splits. I will keep them (since I said I would take them), but if I were to do it over again, I would just order more Cascade + some Columbus. It has the advantage of being able to mix to produce a Centennial like but also use separately in recipes that call for just Columbus or just Cascade.

Are you going to change the Newport split into Columbus?

While waiting for my son at track today, I was pondering ordering 11# of cascade or centennial "type" myself.

haha simply awesome. Love the way you think :D

Looks like we have our splits cut out for ourselves again!

actually it looks like we have 110lbs another one closed.

Dangerously close:
Mangum (7)
Fuggle (8)
Tett (9)
EKG (10)

OK, here's a crazy offer: If there are folks who want more Cascade or Centennial Type, I would be willing to do the following:

I have 2# Cascade in split #6, 2# Centennial Type in Split #7, 1# Centennial Type in Split #17, 2# Cascade in Split #18. All of these are full, so ready to go. If there are folks willing to take my positions in these, I would be willing to buy a 11# bag of Cascade.

So, to net, I would need takers for 4# of Cascade, 3# Centennial Type. Anyone interested?

OK, here's a crazy offer: If there are folks who want more Cascade or Centennial Type, I would be willing to do the following:

I have 2# Cascade in split #6, 2# Centennial Type in Split #7, 1# Centennial Type in Split #17, 2# Cascade in Split #18. All of these are full, so ready to go. If there are folks willing to take my positions in these, I would be willing to buy a 11# bag of Cascade.

So, to net, I would need takers for 4# of Cascade, 3# Centennial Type. Anyone interested?

you greedy son of a... hahah!

Man now you are making me thinK I need an 11lb share of each hop! If I had my walk-in built, I might consider it.

Closed out the EKG and added another Tett and Fuggles. :D

We need one more of the Tett to close it out and two more of the Fuggles...

You guys are making me thirsty, and we still have 8 hours until happy hour. All this hop talk makes me want a hefty IPA!

Also ignore that we're at 83 bags. Since we closed 11 splits it pushed us into a new bag but I think we are still ok

Is the styrian still open? If so can somebody mark me for 1#, I'm on my phone and won't get in until late and you crazy bastards are filling things up!

Is the styrian still open? If so can somebody mark me for 1#, I'm on my phone and won't get in until late and you crazy bastards are filling things up!

I put you down - for your viewing pleasure here is what is left:

HU-90GSZ Saaz 6
HU-90GMG Magnum 7
HU-90FGL Fuggle 9
HU-90WLT Willamette 3
HU-90TNG Tettnang 10
HU-90WAR Warrior 4
HU-90MTF Mittlefruh (Hallertauer) 5
HU‐90STG Styrian Golding 3

We already closed:

HU-90CLM Columbus 11
HU-90MTH Mt Hood 11
HU-90EKG East Kent Golding 11
HU-90CAS Cascade 11
HU-90CTP Centennial Type 11
HU-90NBR Northern Brewer 11
HU-90EKG East Kent Golding 11
HU-90GPR Perle 11
HU-90CTP Centennial Type 11
HU-90CAS Cascade 11
HU-90SMT Summit 11

I might double up on tettnang to close it, but I will give you guys a chance to jump in on it because I already have a lb on hand in my freezer.

What do you use Tettnang in?

and

what is BZ-Chit? The catalog says it's similar to dex so does that mean it's similar to carapils? I've never used any of them so I'm curious.

Are we going to add another Colombus?

What do you use Tettnang in?

and

what is BZ-Chit? The catalog says it's similar to dex so does that mean it's similar to carapils? I've never used any of them so I'm curious.

Are we going to add another Colombus?

I think it is similar to carapils. I have a full bag of carapils. I would be willing to do 1/2 of the BZ-CHIT and drop my BZ-CRPL(thus keeping the count the same), or if you were afraid of trying the BZ-CHIT it could be changed to BZ-CRPL and I would take 1/2 of that (again dropping my full sack to keep the count at 83).

I know you guys are are trying to work withing the rules but if you want to add more bags just post what you want and I will keep track. You know how we roll on this buy. First noon is posting grain interest then we get 15 bags in 15 minutes D

Right now here is where we stand with the potential interest:

So far I have total interest (8 bags); Need 25 more bags

BryanJ - 5 bags plus hops
Cidahmastah - 1 bag
bellinmi88 - 2 more bags
------------------------------------------------------

I see the Whole Bags are closed out. Is there any interested out there in another pallet perhaps? I would like to double up on what I have...

I see the Whole Bags are closed out. Is there any interested out there in another pallet perhaps? I would like to double up on what I have...

I put you down for interest in 2 more bags and that split between you and copyright - not sure if this split actually happened yet, etc.

Anyway - looks like we need about 26 bags more

Smashing -
I have used it in at least two porters recipes and I REALLY like it in the sam adams summer ale I make. Also used it in an altbier

Magnum:
I am surprised the magnum hasn't closed out. I use magnum in a lot of recipes. Guess I am the only one :D

I put you down for interest in 2 more bags and that split between you and copyright - not sure if this split actually happened yet, etc.

Anyway - looks like we need about 26 bags more

Smashing -
I have used it in at least two porters recipes and I REALLY like it in the sam adams summer ale I make. Also used it in an altbier

Magnum:
I am surprised the magnum hasn't closed out. I use magnum in a lot of recipes. Guess I am the only one :D

Re: Split. He is on the organic c60 split with me.

Re: Magnum. Nice bittering hop. I have most of a # I bought recently and am signed up for another #.

Re: Pallet. I think we should just try for 3. :)

Did we ever make any progress on the keg buy?

If not, I found a place that I can get prices down to around 30 bucks, after shipping..If anyone is interested at those prices?

If not, I found a place that I can get prices down to around 30 bucks, after shipping..If anyone is interested at those prices?

I am interested in those prices (I have to see how many, but maybe 3-4 for myself and a buddy might be interested in 4 or so). That might change, but just a ball park.

Mparsons told me he was going in for a do or die last approach on the keg buy. He told me that he would let me know by sometime today. i.e. not sure what he has found out yet but think he will post today.

Re: Split. He is on the organic c60 split with me.

Re: Magnum. Nice bittering hop. I have most of a # I bought recently and am signed up for another #.

Re: Pallet. I think we should just try for 3. :)

ok I will adjust my numbers

I *think we might be closing the buy as soon as May 18th ish. Don't quote me, but that is the earliest possibility we had out on the table. I think it would be great to grab a third partial pallet or whatever, but we just need to get people grain hungry enough!

NightHawk said:

I'd be in for maybe two kegs. Ball lock?

I think it is similar to carapils. I have a full bag of carapils. I would be willing to do 1/2 of the BZ-CHIT and drop my BZ-CRPL(thus keeping the count the same), or if you were afraid of trying the BZ-CHIT it could be changed to BZ-CRPL and I would take 1/2 of that (again dropping my full sack to keep the count at 83).

Thanks for the offer, but half a bag is too much for me at this point.

I added the columbus in place of the newport that was sold out. Feel free to jump on it

I popped Colombus' cherry. Not sure if I want to go for 2 or not. Pile on guys! Damn, this adds up quick. How am I going to afford a dedicated freezer for this after my wife's head comes off her shoulders? !

I'm still waiting to hear back from some who I work with and may be adding on some bags for them if we do a 3rd pallet.

The hops splits are awesome - if all fills up, I'm looking forward to stuffing 21 lbs of hops into my freezer.

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of interest for the Willamette's though - one of my go to hops and for $6.16/lb, how can you go wrong.

Anyways - well done gentlemen.

Back