Session Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting peice on craftbeer.com today about Session beers also. I think more session beers is great idea it is nice to be able to go out have a couple of beers and still be able to drive home.

I enjoyed your post. I am in total agreement and I think that there will inevitably be a rubber band effect in the industry. We can't continue to go bigger. There will always be a market for the big beers, but I hope we see more sessionable beers. I would probably put the cap for the "session" label at 4-4.5%, but that is a minor niggle.

Another problem, which you touched on, is pricing. I just picked up a sixer (while I was waiting for my wife to let me into the house...) and couldn't help but notice the odd pricing. I am in Denver and there were six types of New Belgium available at the liquor store. They all varied greatly in abv and hoppiness, but they were all the same $9.49 for a six pack. I went for the Blue Paddle Pilsner as I just finished my bike ride and wanted something sessionable, but it is crazy that it was the same price as the tripel and the belgian IPA. Are they worried that no one will buy the big beers if it is $8 for the Pils and $11 for the tripel? Even so, it seems like we will inevitably see more low alcohol beers as NB must have better margins on the Pils.

The pricing really is the issue. I can get a 6-pack of Live Free Or Die IPA for the same price as Bitter American . Its stupid.

Also, I think 4.5% abv should be the limit. I was coerced into saying 5% when I wrote the article.

Terrapin brewery here in Athens, ga is releasing a session beer called an easy rider. It's supposed to be a hoppy pale ale. I'm really untested to see it. If they were cheaper I would be much more interested. I do agree that it's a huge market. I'd love to have 12 packs available for ~$13. I'd probably buy a lot more beer

I wonder if Brewers are afraid to charge less for them because then they would be in more direct competition with BMC and loose the "Beer snobs" who do pay more for their beer.

I wonder if Brewers are afraid to charge less for them because then they would be in more direct competition with BMC and loose the "Beer snobs" who do pay more for their beer.

I feel like craft brewers have differentiated them selves enough to win over the "Beer Snobs" A little direct competition with BMC would probably not be a bad thing.

A good session beer could be a gateway to the higher alcohol and more expensive brews.

In the bottle the key will be quality control - I picked up Bitter American and it was 3 months from bottling and was way past it's prime. These small beers don't have much shelf life - unless you bottle condition

At a brewpub or in tap I'd love to see more of an English pub style setup - butters, milds and low abv so you can have more than two or so in a night.

The "extreme" beer category is way oversaturated - there are better wine deals in 750s than some of these rediculous beers - I catch myself reaching for a solid cotes du rhone for $15 rather than some 9% hop bomb that isn't even date stamped. That's a place craft beer has taken itself that may come to shoot it in the foot.

The article was great btw

I also always wondered why a brewery wouldn't release a saison in the 4% range - pils, wheat and saaz hops DuPont yeast and bottle condition:

Shelf life
No one is making it
Low cost
Tons of flavor
Food friendly

No brainer.

In the bottle the key will be quality control - I picked up Bitter American and it was 3 months from bottling and was way past it's prime. These small beers don't have much shelf life - unless you bottle condition

In the can? I have had an old 21a brew free or die ipa in the can and the hop aroma and flavor had dwindled a bit, but it was still better than a same aged bottled beer...

brettwasbtd said:
In the can? I have had an old 21a brew free or die ipa in the can and the hop aroma and flavor had dwindled a bit, but it was still better than a same aged bottled beer...

Ya it was in the can - I psyched for it too which was a bummer - hope I can find it fresh

Mongrel said:
Full Sail's Session costs as much as other craft beer? It's cheaper here in Oregon. But, it is a 5.1% lager, so should it really be cheaper than the average strength craft ale?

I had it from a total wine.. It was as much as other beers on the shelf... Including 6-7 abv IPA and stout... I'm sure that if you live closer to the breweries it will make a difference..

Like I said in the article, I consider 5% or less a session beer... 5.1% is close enough....

Full Sail's Session costs as much as other craft beer? It's cheaper here in Oregon. But, it is a 5.1% lager, so should it really be cheaper than the average strength craft ale?
i really like the session black, and i think abc has them for not much more than a buck apiece
my only beef is the twist off caps... i would LOVE to use the bottles for homebrew!

Back