Desert Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
That time of year out here. Thought I'd share and give a size reference.

574-spider.JPG

No, I did NOT hit it with the swatter. Tarantula's are cool!

I agree. Do you also have black lights around the house for another summer critter?

Wild

the black lights are for the small clear/flourescent scorpions that are very difficult if not impossible to see without black light...nasty little critters--one of the very few things I don't miss about living in AZ. Everyone loves the tarantulas out there though because they eat the scorpions.

Interesting, I lived in Tucson for two years and never saw a tarantula in the wild. Lots of scorpions, though. What part of the valley? I was on the southwest side near Mission Ridge.

I was just down in Tucson last weekend visiting my girlfriends parents. I saw 2 taranchula's, a couple of coyotes, and a pack of havelinas. Not to mention one of the worst monsoon microstorms that I have ever seen:D

I lived at the end of 43rd Ave at South Mountain. When the sun went down the black lights went on.

Wild

I lived on the Northwest side of Tucson in the unincorporated part of the city for about 6 years when I was in elementary school...we saw more scorpions than tarantulas, but when we did see tarantulas it was usually around monsoon season

NW side here. 1st house in this area scorpions were a problem. It was a new subdivision, track housing setup. This house (acre property) nothing or rarely. Every once in a while I'll break out the blacklight and walk around in/out but I never see one. But if I go out this time of year at night with a spot I'll see a dozen trantulas running around. And, that's why I have no scorpion problem I presume. :)

anthrobe - its been insane around here with the storms. Had another last night and I lost power for 4 hours which is the 3rd time this summer now. They keep breaking all my **** in the yard.

Latest posts

Back