Making clear candi sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I wanted to make clear candi sugar but instead it came out amber. According to my recipe, I was supposed to cook the solution at 260-275F for at least 20 minutes to invert the molecules, whatever that means, and then continue cooking it until the desired color is reached.

Anyway, after 20 minutes, the stuff was no longer clear but an amber color.

Anyone know what went wrong?

I want to make a triple and need clear candi sugar. Would this amber candi sugar be ok?

The temperature. The higher the darker. I chose this based on the experiments a couple people did with candi syrups (sry can't recall the names).

Light Candi Syrup:
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 tsp DAP

Bring to boil on Medium. When it reaches 260*F add:
3/4 Cup Water
to stop the boil, stir gently. Continue to cool to room temp.

Now, that is not clear. It is a light yellowish color. I use that in my Tripel though. If you want the "clear candi sugar", you might as well just add table sugar, because that's all that really is. You're not getting any flavor from that.

Odaniel's right, for clear there's no need to "make" it, just add sugar to the boil. Many folks argue that the heat and the acidity of the wort alone is enough to invert it.

Back