Lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dare

Reaction score
Am getting ready to brew my first lager. I'm going to use my deep freeze with a temperature control on it. I need to know if I am supposed to wait fermentation to begin at room temperature before placing it in the cooler at 40 degrees?

Some people do, i didnt. It started, well at least what i could see foam on top in 2 days compared to the six hours most my ales with dry yeast take. I didnt know to expect anything on top since lagers are suppose to be bottem fermenting. Turned out great. Your going to ferment at 40 degrees then? What temp are you going to lager condition it?

Malticulous said:
It's always best to pitch enough healthy yeast at or just below fermentation temp.

+1, and this applies to ales too. You don't pitch ales at 85°F, wait for fermentation, then drop them to 65.

At lager ferment temps, I get the impression that yeast are more active than spoilage organisms, so if you underpitch, you're better off waiting it out than raising the temp.

The reason the yeast people say to pitch over 70 is because one pack is not near enough yeast. Yeast reproduce much faster at higher temps. They will also make many more off flavors. You need four times the yeast they recommend to pitch a lager at fermentation temp.

Back