How long to ferment Boston ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokenjoke

Reaction score
I found this recipe on an old thread and decided to try it. It is suppose to be a Sam Adams clone. We'll see.
It doesn't state a temperature to ferment or a length of time. I'm real new to brewing so if the numbers at the bottom of the recipe tells me how to ferment it, I'm clueless.
The guy at the brew suggested a Wyest 1007 German ale because he didn't have the one listed. If someone has a better suggestion please let me know.
Shouldn't I also add some Irish moss to the boil for clarity?

Thanks for any help.

This recipe came directly from the Boston Beer Company as a LME clone of their Sam Adams Ale:

Ingredients for 5 Gallons:

3.3 lb Munton Amber Liquid Malt Extract
3.3 lb Munton Light Liquid Malt Extract
¾ oz East Kent Fuggles Hops (60 Minutes)
¾ oz East Kent Goldings Hops (60 Minutes)
¼ oz. East Kent Goldings Hops (20 Minutes
1.5 oz East Kent Goldings Hops (5 Minutes)
¾ oz East Kent Goldings Hops (Dry Hop)
White Labs WLP008

O.G.: 1.052
IBU: 30.2
SRM 6.9

Same as any other ale of moderate OG, I would think. 3-4 weeks in primary, preferably at a temperature in the mid-60s (F).

You are in good company, BTW. I have a Boston Ale clone from AHS on my stove top right now. I'll be pitching Windsor dry yeast if that helps any.

Here is the info for your yeast;

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum fermentation temperature: 65-70°F beer temp not ambient
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

as for "how long", until you have the same hydrometer reading for three consecutive days. When making ales I no longer use a secondary/clearing vessel, so I leave my beer on the yeast for 3-4 weeks then cold crash and keg or bottle.

This helps a bunch. I assumed it fermented much like the others but am too new to be sure. Thanks for your quick help!

Almost all of SAMs brews have Hallertau and Tettnanger. I can't believe it's all EKG.

Almost all of SAMs brews have Hallertau and Tettnanger. I can't believe it's all EKG.

Yeah a did see several recipes with those hops. They varied in ingredient size so much I wasn't sure which to follow. Will I expect this batch to taste like Sam Adams? No probably not but I hope it's at least drinkable. I will probably dry hop with Hallertau mittlefruh as you pointed out.

smokenjoke said:
Yeah a did see several recipes with those hops. They varied in ingredient size so much I wasn't sure which to follow. Will I expect this batch to taste like Sam Adams? No probably not but I hope it's at least drinkable. I will probably dry hop with Hallertau mittlefruh as you pointed out.

Glad to hear. I think it will be close. Hallertau is one of the defining characteristics in most Sam brews. Including the lager and ale.

Back