Burger Recipes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ill_Biscuit

Reaction score
How about everybody post their favorite burger recipes. I get bored of have the same one everytime

1lb Ground beef of preference (I like sirloin)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon finely shredded horseradish
Grill (charcoal, dammit, charcoal)

Saute up an onion, red pepper and some mushrooms
top it all with some provolone

Enjoy

1# g.beef
1 c hatch green chile
1 c blue cheese

mix together, grill smother with mushrooms

If I'm going to eat cooked meat, it's going to be a steak. If I'm eating ground beef, it's going to be raw. I hate overcooked meat... anything beyond medium rare is pretty gross, imo. And any ground beef which isn't fresh has to be cooked to reduce the bacteria count. That's the problem with pre-ground beef. The frinding process exposes more of the meat to the air and it will mix contaminants evenly throughout the meat whereas, with a steak, any contaminant will most just stay on the surface. So preground meat is bad for eating rare, so I don't bother. But anyway, since we're talking about patties of raw beef, here's my recipe. It's definitely my favoite...

A pound of sirloin
1 raw egg
some Maggi sauce
a touch of pepper and salt.

Run this through the meat grinder twice, then put it on little pieces of bread and serve with capers and onions on top with some parsely for garnish. Please note that my omission of any suggestion of using heat in the production of this dish is deliberate. Heat is meant for keeping warm, not for eating meat.

Just make sure you've got good beef. If you value your intestines, you can NOT use preground meat. It's a breeding ground for bacteria. :mug:

You have not had burgers, till you go to the grocery store and pick up a nice brisket flat. Take it to the counter and have the butcher run it through the grinder TWICE.

Then add it to the rest of your recipes. Ground Brisket Flats with a 1/8 inch fat cap make AWESOME burgers.

Actually I can't eat red meat and I miss it this all sounds too good.

EdWort said:
You have not had burgers, till you go to the grocery store and pick up a nice brisket flat. Take it to the counter and have the butcher run it through the grinder TWICE.

Then add it to the rest of your recipes. Ground Brisket Flats with a 1/8 inch fat cap make AWESOME burgers.

Wow, that sounds really good Ed. How do you season it up, or is it pretty forgiving with just about anything you normally do?

Ize

1 lb ground venison
1 lb ground pork tenderloin
Garlic and onion to taste
Worcestershire sauce
Lots of Johnny's Season Salt
top with swiss cheese

1-2 kilos of ground beef (2-4 lbs)
1 cup of chopped onion
1-2 eggs
bread crumbs
Wostershire sauce 1-2 tbs
Tomato Sauce 1-2 tbs
BBQ sauce 1-2 tbs

Combine the beef and eggs and all the sauces, then combine with hands. Add bread crumbs untill it has a smooth consistancy. It needs to be beef like ed said which started with a nice amount of fat :D It makes a GREAT burger. Top with cheese and mushrooms and grilled onion.

:mug:

Ize said:
Wow, that sounds really good Ed. How do you season it up, or is it pretty forgiving with just about anything you normally do?

I like to drizzle a little soy sauce and sprinkle some Montreal Steak Seasoning on each side. When you make your patties, make and indentation in the middle as it will puff up when you cook it.

Serve on a fresh Kaiser Roll with a big slice of Red Onion or Vidalia Onion.

Hmmm. Good!

I've been eating a bit of bison burger as I mentioned in another thread. I really like the flavor, though it will cook faster than regular beef so you have to be careful if you like yours medium-rare/medium.

I also tried Alton Brown's method of pulsing sirloin and chuck in the food processor and that actually works really well if you don't have a grinder (as I don't).

In any case, whenever I make burgers I always add kosher salt, fresh black pepper, egg, bread crumbs, and I shred some onion on a fine grater into the mixture. You get kind of onion slurry which adds great flavor as well as moisture. Maybe 1/4 onion for 2lbs meat? I'm not sure without doing it.

Another tip...if you want to make those giant meatballs (like the size of a baby's head): instead of using bread crumbs, soak some white bread in milk for 5-10 minutes, squeeze it out, and add the bread instead of bread crumbs. The meatball will literally fall apart in submission to a fork instead of getting tough.

Dang. Now I'm hungry for meatballs.

Get two frying pans with olive oil going. Chop up two onions and add half to one skillet, and half to the other. Meantime, while the onions are sauteeing, chop up a head of garlic and add half to each skillet.

Add a big can of crushed tomatoes to one of the skillets, stir, simmer. Test for seasoning (salt/pepper).

Pour the other onion/garlic mixture into a big bowl. Add 3-4 slices white bread (no crust) that have been soaked in milk, a handful of chopped parsley, one egg, salt, pepper, 1# ground beef, 1# ground pork. Form into meatballs about the size of a tangerine or small apple. Coat with bread crumbs if desired.

Heat more olive oil in the vacated skillet and brown the meatballs on two sides. When second side is browned spoon in half of the simmering tomato sauce, top each meatball with a slice of fresh mozzarella, and place in a 400F oven for ~10-15 minutes. Meatballs will finish cooking and cheese will melt.

Add chopped fresh basil to the spaghetti sauce.

Cook 1# spaghetti, toss with remaining tomato sauce, and top each bowl of spaghetti with 1-2 meatballs. Shave parmigiano-reggiano or parmesan over top.

Fish said:
1# g.beef
1 c hatch green chile
1 c blue cheese

mix together, grill smother with mushrooms

Yeah, baby!

My family would nix the blue cheese (cretins!). But you can't beat a burger with fresh roasted green chile in it.

I made some burgers the other night using some high-grade black angus. Generally this meat doesn't stay formed, so I decided to break tradition and throw in an egg. Then it was too mushy, so I put in some bread crumbs. I seasoned with some crazy steak seasoning sold in a butcher shop in Alabama.

Friggin awesome burger. I'm eating the leftover one today, and it's still amazing.

Ground Chuck or Round
1/2lb patties
seasoned salt and pepper
grill the patties to medium
2-3 strips thick cut bacon
2 slices sharp cheddar
bun
a squirt of ketchup

Then to thin the blood a little so I don't keel over, a few beers.

Back