Is a re-pitch needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sizemj

Reaction score
First batch:
Everything went great, all according to plan. (Brewer's Best English Brown Ale). Pitched my yeast at 76 degrees. As cool as I could get it. It now has been 80 something hours. I have no krausen, and OG has not dropped at all. I did use the Nottingham yest in the slow starting lot. I did not rehydrate my yeast. Guy at my LHBS said that rehydrateing usually is not needed with dry yeast. So wait it out or repitch? Also I will not be able to repitch for about another 30 hours any issues with that?

thanks

When should I take a gravity reading to see if any fermentation has stopped? Or should I just wait and open the ferminator up and measure on bottling day?

You know, for a couple bucks it probably would not hurt to just throw another pack of Notty in!
It seems to me if you have no krausen and the SG has not changed what the heck, toss in another pack.

Of course this is just my opinion!

I've had Notty take 24hrs to see active fermentation. If you have access to Safale S-04or S-05, I'd repitch. 80 hours is way too long.

I've had Notty take 24hrs to see active fermentation. If you have access to Safale S-04or S-05, I'd repitch. 80 hours is way too long.

Yes. I'd get very nervous after 24-36 hours if a dry yeast package didn't start. For liquid yeast without a starter, I'd wait up to 72 hours before repitching, but I'd repitch a dry yeast within 48 hours if nothing happened.

Same thing happened to me with Notty. I repitched at 60-some hours with S-04 and fermintation started fast and furious. Wyeast 1028 would be a good choice as well.

Back