Keezer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I just did a quick estimate on what it will cost to finish my keezer project and I'm in sticker shock. I don't want to skimp in places that are going to cause problems later, but if anyone can see some places where I can start trimming the budget please let me know. Here's the skinning on the project so far.

Here is what I have:

1 - 7.2 cubic foot chest freezer
4 - 5 gallon corny kegs
1 - 5# CO2 tank
1 - Single port regulator

I am going to use a collar and I want to end up with a 4 faucet system. The only things I want to spend a little extra on are Perlick faucets, and a digital thermostat. Other than that, I would like to see where I can trim some dollars off of this project. The photo below is a screen shot of a test invoice from "Keg Connection". Oh yeah, the $20 scissors and the $99 drip tray are off the wish list.

Also, if I am missing something please let me know that too. :)

Kegerator1.jpg

Perlicks can be had for $29 from brewmasters warehouse or AHS. No handle though...

You can get a Johnson or love controller for less then 90 (I'm guessing 50-60?)if you order from a different source.

If you are going all stainless, make sure the shanks are too. Judging by the price they aren't. Upgrade to the $20 stainless 5 1/8".

Don't spend $11 on the hole saw. You can buy for $5 at home depot and save shipping. I used one I had leftover from installing a door knob. Both 7/8 and 1" work.

I think I did mine for around $350 I got a chest freezer off of craiglist for about 75. Then a two perlick tap kit for about $250 from kegconnection.com

You may want to consider going the second hand route. Craigslist and eBay. Or even the classified section here. Drop the hose cutter. Not needed in my opinion. And sharpish cutting tool will cut the hose just fine. I'm also guessing you can get regular hose clamps at HD/Lowes/Etc for cheaper than the Oetiker clamps. Shop around for the 4 port manifold too. I've seen those for $15 - $20 cheaper than what you posted. Could be another eBay find.

+1 on craigslist and scavenging if you have the time and patience. I'm 98% done with my keezer, and while it's taken me ~6 months to collect everything I need, I've only got around $240 in it so far. I'm a do-it-yourself person though, so I'm able to make the stuff that I find work for me, and I realize not everyone can. I do also want to upgrade to perlicks eventually which will increase the cost a bit since I'll probably have to buy them new.

Have you checked out Brewers Discount (brewersdiscount.com)? They have ball-lock disconnects for $3.85 each.

Try Austin Home Brew Supply, The Beverage Factory, and Williams Brewing they all have better prices on some of these items I used all three in my build along with my LHBS!!! Good luck yes get the all ss perlicks I got the entire set up from Austin qucik to ship too

http://www.barproducts.com/ Search for drip tray. They've got a 19" SS one for $20.

And I wouldn't bother w/ upgrading to SS shanks and tail nuts. Sure it looks pretty and sounds cool but I don't see the need.

If you plan on keeping your kegerator a long time upgrade to SS. Sure you could save a few bucks and get chrome. But in a few years of heavy use the chrome plating will start to flake off, exposing the metal underneath which is not good in contact with your beer. If you plan on keeping it that long, pay the extra $5 and go SS so you don't need to buy twice.

Get the bar products drip tray, save $80.

Get a Johnson or Ranco or Love temp controller for 60, or the analog $36 one at Chicompany.net

While you're at Chicompany.net, get some ball lock disconnects, they'll be cheaper too.

Faucets at AHS could save you money, as well as SS shanks from AHS, etc.

WTF is a "hose cutter"? Use a utility knife, save 20 bucks.

You can get the beer and gas hose way cheaper from Mcmaster.com.

You have to try and buy as much as possible from one or two sites, to save shipping, but I think you're spending way too much for that stuff at KegConnection.

DONT SKIMP ON ANYTHING FOR YOUR KEGERATOR. You should have it for life if you build it nice enough. I was shocked how, much mine cost after i started adding **** up. I just kept working on mine week after week, buying only the material i could afford or had time to install. The only thime i bought ahead is if something is on sale.

My keezer sits in my dining room, i stained it to match our cabinets and even my wife loves it.

Back