Even Carbonation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmharris

Reaction score
I just recently cracked open my IPA after a 1 month 1/2. Most bottles are incredible, however I have the occasional flat beer. Does anyone have any suggestions or methods they use to evenly carbonate after racking to the bottling bucket? For this batch I boiled the 3/4 cup of priming sugar in water and siphoned the beer under the small layer of priming solution. After that I stirred the batch with my brewing paddle.

I primaried for about 3-4 weeks. I haven't chilled it. I prefer my IPA warm. Tried 1 out of this batch chilled and did not like it as much

could it be a problem with your capping set up? Otherwise the priming sugar is probably not mixed quite evenly. If its a yeast problem I would assume that would be the same for all your beers as you have mixed your priming solution into the beer the yeast will be distributed evenly at the same time.

well i did have a friend of mine help me cap them this time. We capped them immediately after each bottle was filled. Its not rocket science but a little different experience for someone who has no idea what they're doing. Like I said, its probably 1/5 bottles

Its surprising how often trouble with properly capping bottles is, if the beer tastes sweet then the yeast is probably your problem, but if it tastes like the others, just flat, then it sounds like you might have found your problem.

I pour half my priming solution into my bottling bucket then rack over top; when the bucket is about half full i pour the second half of the priming solution in and gently stir w/ my auto-siphon at the end.

Was it completely flat or just carbonated to less than you desired?

If you are mixing your priming sugar well, I would have to go with the caps. If the bottles are not capped correctly, you may have CO2 leaking out.

You might try turning all of your bottles upside down for a few days and then right side up. This will get yeast back in suspension and could help the carbonation.

My money is on the tightness of the caps.

Eric

All good advice. More than likely, after some deducting in my head, its the capping procedure. I felt like I mixed the priming solution well and its only a few of the bottles. Thanks for your help.

Back