Gravity checking a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
Have had a lager in the primary (bucket ) for a couple weeks now(yeast pitched on the 14th)-holding at temps between 48-52,I'd like to check the gravity to see how things are goin-Do I pour some from the sterilized (bagged) drain valve on the bucket(and risk skanking up the valve prior to racking to secondary) or draw from the top ? I don't wanna remove the lid (real bugger) unless absolutly req'd. As a lager I'm aware that a secondary ferment and condition are needed-but at what point should I start looking to do this ? Thanks in advance . Shane

Drawing from the top might be your best bet. I have also drawn from the tap on my bucket and it has never hurt anything. To be honest, I don't bag it, though I will swab it with some no-rinse if I think about it.

However, I always just remove the lid on my bucket and drop the sanitized hydrometer in...that's easiest for me.

You should transfer your lager to the secondary once primary fermentation stops, i.e., you've reached your FG, pretty much the same as an ale.

Back