XX clone Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickThoR

Reaction score
How do yall think this sounds for a Dos Equis Ambar clone? the weather here is turning and i'm ready for summer!

2 lb Amber Dry Extract
4. lb Vienna Malt
1 lb Munich Malt
.75 lb Crystal 120L
1.5 oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
.50 oz Hallertauer @ 10
and Notty yeast as cool as i can keep in a tub, probably 59 60d

Beersmith says 14.5 srm and 4.77% alc

IMO, it wont be dos equis (no lager yeast, no rice, doubtful there's any C120 in it), but it'll probably taste better than it. I'm sure there's a clone in the recipe database if you want a true clone

I dont have the stuff to lager, so i figured notty would be the next best since it is ok at lower temps... any suggestions for other yeasts? how else could i get the color without the c120... maybe up the munich and/or use dark extract?

no in that case, using notty will probably be your best bet unless you wanted to try california lager (steam) or kolsch yeast. The notty should be good enough to get you close as long as you don't ferment hot. I'd use C60 or C40 instead of the C120, and if you want the same color use 1-2oz of something like chocolate wheat or carafa III

Why don't you do some digging into the particular style that Dos Equis is, it's an amber or vienna lager. And being such they have a particular grainbill. Whether or lager it or use ale yeast, you still will get a closer taste of you use a similar grainbill.

In my vienna lager thread, there is a link to a great basic brewing podcast on Vienna lagers with the editor of BYO magazine. He goes into great detail about what does and does not go into that style of beer. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/revvys-vienna-lager-147772/

Back