campden question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullcross

Reaction score
hi all , i would like to ask a question.
i pressed 3 gallons of juice yesterday and would like to add campden tablets and add my own yeast.

now the question is do i add the campden and have to wait a certain amount of time before i add the yeast or can i do it all at the same time .

my first time at making it hence the small batch and wanted to be 100% safe and make sure it doesnt spoil

many thanks

One tablet per gallon. Do not add yeast with the campden.
From what I've heard, the least amount of time you need to wait is 18 hours. A full 24 hours is recommended.

sorry to be a pain but i also just read campden wont kill off the yeast , can i still add my own yeast?

ive just added the campden so cant do anything for 24hours now anyway

sorry to be a pain but i also just read campden wont kill off the yeast , can i still add my own yeast?

ive just added the campden so cant do anything for 24hours now anyway

I'm not sure what you're asking. You add the campden to kill wild yeast/bacteria/microbes so that you don't have the natural yeast on the apples fermenting the cider since you want to add your own. Wine yeast is fairly tolerant of sulfites, but it's best to add it about 24 hours later so that it doesn't get "stunned" by the campden.

I mix up the must, and add the campden. Twelve hours later, I add pectic enzyme (if using). Twelve hours after that, I add the yeast.

Back