Blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

Reaction score
My next batch is going to be an amber ale(extract with grains). I will be using a starter and expect some pretty vigorous fermentation at first. I am planning on using a blow off tube. Do I keep the blow off tube on for the whole fermentation (approx 10-14 days) or do I replace it with an airlock once fermentation has slowed?
Thanks,
Mike

I replace it with an airlock once it's clear that fermentation is slowing down, usually after 3-4 days.

If I'm lazy and don't feel like sanitizing the bung and airlock, does it really make a difference for a 7-10 day fermentation if you leave the blow-off tube the whole time?

you can leave it on as long as you want......It does the same thing as a 3 piece airlock

I leave mine on for the entire first week, until the Kraussen falls. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I always use secondary fermenters, and use a 3 piece air lock on it. It might be in my head, but I like to think it is clearing up, and I am able to filter anything out of the secondary.

Back