Nottinghame Ale Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a kit for Doppel Weizen at the local brewing store. The yeast is the Nottingham Ale Yeast. They said to ferment between 65° and 78° F. The website says ~54° to 70° F.

My basement right now runs between 62 and 64° (I'm sure will deep a little more coming up).

My upstairs thermostat runs between 66° and 70° depending on time of day.

Could it possibly make any difference what-so-ever which area I chose? (Assuming cleanliness remains constant.)

Nottingham is very versatile and reliable. I use it often. If you ferment it at 60-64 degrees, it's very "clean" and neutral tasting. At 68-70 degrees, it'd be a little bit fruity tasting. So, I guess it's your choice!

One thing to keep in mind is that you want to monitor the temperature of the fermenter, not the ambient air temperature. In a rip-roaring active fermentation, the temperature of the wort can be as much as 8-10 degrees higher than the ambient air temperature. Usually, it's just a couple of degrees warmer inside, though. You can buy one of those cheap stick on thermometers (like for aquariums) to help gauge the fermentation temperature.

I like to do most of my ales at 65 degrees, but now with winter upon us here in the Northwoods, it's more like 62 degrees inside my house. I'm very happy with that temperature range, especially for nottingham yeast.

It went into the basement last night around 10:30pm. This morning at 9am there were no buddles. Odd. Oh well, I'll give it some time. Usually I nuke the yeast so badly I am practically done fermenting at this point.

Nottingham is pretty good either way. I brewed some beer with this yeats early last spring and at one point it reached almost 78 degrees in my house. The beer still turned out to be pretty good but very estery. I think you'll be all good either way.

Personally I like mid to low 60s with that yeast. Like 62 is perfect, I don't really get the "estery" flavor - I know some like that, I prefer to avoid it.

I have the data sheet for Nottingham in front of me.

I'm thinking about using it for an upcoming cream ale. Would it be appropriate? From the specs, it looks like it would be.

I have the data sheet for Nottingham in front of me.

I'm thinking about using it for an upcoming cream ale. Would it be appropriate? From the specs, it looks like it would be.

You bet. Keep it cool (65-ish) and you'll get a very clean flavor from it, great for a cream ale.

I never knew fermentation added degrees. I had my red ale in secondary in basement, really just clearing, I can't imagine anymore fermentation is happening and it's 62°. The doppel weizen is on day 3 and day one in the basement it was at 62°, and now it's gone up to 66°.

It's nice when you properly pitch a yeast and it's day 4 and it's still bubbling away. I feel so damn confident in this beers it feels so good. My OG wasn't as high as planned, but who cares.

Latest posts

Back