pasteurize wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenM

Reaction score
Ok new to the forum, please guide me.
I have 5 gallons of hard apple cider, 5 gallons of perry and 5 gallons of cyser all in secondary. I read about priming the cider with apple juice concentrate, botteling and waiting util appropriately carbonated, then stovetop pasteurizing. I wanted to keep some still in wine bottles as well. Any reason I couldn't pasteurize in the wine bottles immediately after adding the apple juice concentrate to keep whatever sweetness there is but not have bottle bombs?

Thanks for any help provided

Rather than pasteurizing and exposing your cider to extreme temperatures which may effect the flavor you should instead cold-crash, rack and add sulfites and sorbates to inhibit more fermentation. Once satisfied that you have stopped the yeast you can backsweeten to taste.

There are a number of different ways to create a sweetened wine without renewed fermentation. One of the most common being to add sorbate. Assuming you don't want to use Potassium sorbate to stabilize, yes, you could do it that way and pasteurize to prevent renewed fermentation. Just note that wine bottles because of their greater mass and volume will require longer pasteurizing/flash/contact time than smaller thinner beer bottles.

no you cant!!! The expansion of the liquid when it heats will at the least blow out your corks and at the most break the bottles, however being some one who prefers to pasteurize rather than use chemicals I have a solution for you. Stock pot pasteurize. rack the wine in to a stock pot then put it on the stove at a medium temp. use a candy thermometer and heat the wine up to 140º. This will not cook the wine or change the flavor, but it will sterilize the liquid. while it is still hot add your back-sweetening sugars. cover and let cool than bottle. DO NOT BOTTLE WHILE HOT. If you bollte using wine bottles and corks while hot, best case scenario you will suck the corks in to the bottle as the liquid cools, worst case scenario the bottles will break as he liquid cools and creates negative pressure inside.

That's a good point about corked bottles and pasteurizing.
Everything I put into a champagne style bottle is done using a crown cap. (all American bottles ... so a standard cap)
I should have made that clear.

For carbonated beverages I use either champagne bottles, 23oz bottles such as Guinness or Sam Adams, and also 12 oz and 11.2 oz.
All with crown caps.

thanks every body... I think I will try to heat the cider on the stove then backsweeten prior to botteling...i saw that i should keep the temperature at 140 but for how long? i'm guessing about 20-30 minutes?

0 minutes. here is a pasteurizing guideline

Pasteurizing temperatures
at 128F minimum time to kill population 56 min
at 140F minimum time to kill population 5.6 min
at 152F minimum time to kill population .56 min

Just the time it will take to get it to 140º and then the time it will take to cool down will be more than enough to do the job. The only reason there is a time issue when doing it in the bottles is it takes time for the heat in the water bath to heat the liquid in the bottles up hot enough to do the job.

Daze,

I'm thinking of doing this with 5g of hard cider. Do you notice any taste difference between heating to 140 and say, adding sorbate? I've heard heat will change the taste.

here is a pasteurizing guideline

Pasteurizing temperatures
at 128F minimum time to kill population 56 min
at 140F minimum time to kill population 5.6 min
at 152F minimum time to kill population .56 min

I guess I have been doing overkill. I usually preheat my bottles (usually 12 ounce beer bottles) in a small cooler filled with hot tap water and let them stay in there until my stockpot gets to 165. Then I turn off the burner, transfer the bottles into the stockpot, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Usually by that time the stockpot has cooled close to 140, and I pull the bottles out and let them cool to room temperature, or if the weather is good, out on the deck.

Using this method, I have never had bottlebombs after pasteurization. However, I have has maybe 5 blow up in the stockpot. For this reason I don't allow anyone in the kitchen while I am pasteurizing.

Latest posts

Back