Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife was at a restaurant in St Louis with her mom, aunt, and sisters and asked the waiter what beers they had. He spouted of the typical BMCs and Schlafly. She then asked what Schlafly beers they had, to which he replied "the regular one." With a confused look on her face she asked what he meant and he told her it was their wheat. When he brought it out it was a pale ale. She just drank it to avoid any further confusion.

To be fair, I probably would have assumed pale ale in the first place with the "regular one" description.

I was at my usual bottle stop not too long ago. Got some stone collaboration "Perfect Crime" black saisons and a bottle of Odell's "Meddler" Oud Bruin. While I was getting ringed up their delivery driver (yeah, alcohol delivery guy, plus anything else they might have in the store, smokes, jimmies etc) asked with excitement if I was buying "the new one", meaning the oud bruin. I said yeah, I was looking for a sour tonight and his face screwed up and he said proudly "I haven't tasted it, but I'm pretty sure it's not sour, it's a brown ale". I kept quiet.

Another good one was overhearing co-workers talk about beer and one of them said he enjoyed a good Belgian Red Ale (can't remember the name, something with an M? I was pretty surprised he had taste) that one of the local bars carries, but by and large his favorite beer of all time is Killians...go figure.

This is a 'lame things' you've heard thread now... so here's mine.

Just a minute ago I was in a liquor store with a really great beer selection. I went to the end of the wall where the good stuff ended and worked my way back to the front. Three dudes came in and were like, 'Wow, they have a big selection!' and I was about to say 'Cool right?!' but they passed it all up and went to where the good stuff ended and said 'Ahhh! The domestics! Alright!' and picked a bottle each of the big three.

I kinda thought about telling them to try the Stone or Green Flash or other great things in the fridge, but my 2-year-old kid was on my shoulders, had my hands full.

Saw this highlife bottle in a porta-potty at a baseball game. Couldn't tell if it was beer or pee. Does it matter?

ForumRunner_20130501_115905.jpg

My wife was at a restaurant in St Louis with her mom, aunt, and sisters and asked the waiter what beers they had. He spouted of the typical BMCs and Schlafly.

I don't drink BMC, but having grown up in St. Louis, I have to chime in. I realize that waiters spout off the "typical BMCs" almost everywhere you go, but my recollection is that it is a misdemeanor to even mention a non-Anheuser-Busch beer in St. Louis. When I was a kid (late 60s, early 70s), Coor's (my Dad's favorite beer) was not even sold in Missouri. He used to stock up when we went camping in Colorado every summer, and smuggle it back home to St. Louis (definitely a felony). And you couldn't find Bud anywhere near the Rockies. Don't know if it's still the same these days. Cool history, crummy beer.

I don't drink BMC, but having grown up in St. Louis, I have to chime in. I realize that waiters spout off the "typical BMCs" almost everywhere you go, but my recollection is that it is a misdemeanor to even mention a non-Anheuser-Busch beer in St. Louis. When I was a kid (late 60s, early 70s), Coor's (my Dad's favorite beer) was not even sold in Missouri. He used to stock up when we went camping in Colorado every summer, and smuggle it back home to St. Louis (definitely a felony). And you couldn't find Bud anywhere near the Rockies. Don't know if it's still the same these days. Cool history, crummy beer.

We got a hold of some coors when I was in college. You couldn't get it out east. just like in Smokey and the Bandit.

We thought we had gold. We kept raving about how good it was. Looking back i'm pretty sure it was all in or heads.

Keith66 said:

First thought in my head when reading this was "east bound and down" but b-boy beat me to the smokey and the bandit reference

Still had to throw the sing in though. Jerry Reed is a legend

We can get coors & the like around here. But the craft beer explosion is rapidly burying them,thank goodness. But I still miss the old time brands of the 50's & 60's. I still remember the Stroh's "bohemian style beer" labels seen in The Green Mile...

Speaking of beers from my Midwest childhood (that my Dad and Grandpa drank), I was dumfounded when I saw Pabst Blue Ribbon make a comeback, especially as a trendy "retro" beer. I mean, if Pabst, why not Schlitz?

...or Blatz or Black Label or POC...?

I used to live in uptown Minneapolis, and hung out with a lot of punk bands. Every time any of my friends had a party, the beer provided was PBR...if we ran out of that, the backup beer was Black Label. I remember asking, "what the hell is Black Label?". And somebody responded, "it's Canada's PBR". Haha

I'm not sure if I posted this before, but a few months back I went to Alabama for my brother Air Force Officer Commisioning. We went out to this local seafood joint, and I asked the waitress what beers they had. She rattled off the regular stuff and I asked off they had any craft beer/microbrews or any Alabama brewed beers.

She said, "brewing beer is illegal in Alabama", trying to be as nice as possible, I said, "well, home brewing is illegal, but there are still breweries". She argued that there wasn't and the only "fancy" beer they had was Ying Ling and since I had never had it, I gave it a shot...reminded me of Grain Belt

The funny part was, I had dinner at The Railyard Brewery the night before...I must have been imagining it though, after all it's illegal to brew beer in Alabama

Speaking of beers from my Midwest childhood (that my Dad and Grandpa drank), I was dumfounded when I saw Pabst Blue Ribbon make a comeback, especially as a trendy "retro" beer. I mean, if Pabst, why not Schlitz?

I have seen Schlitz and Hamm's around in the last year. Both were cheaper than the typical BMC and I thought they were better too.

I used to think I was a bad ass because I drank the "King if beers." Only until October of 2008 did I see the darker side of beer. Granted it was American ale, by Bud. It also reopened my intrest of brewing. Oh yeah. I always though Bud was far more supior to Coors , Miller. Gross. Or. People don't drink dark beers because they want a real beer. "bud light." Or, "too many calories." I don't know if the last one is true. Just something I've herad.

I used to think I was a bad ass because I drank the "King if beers." Only until October of 2008 did I see the darker side of beer. Granted it was American ale, by Bud. It also reopened my intrest of brewing. Oh yeah. I always though Bud was far more supior to Coors , Miller. Gross. Or. People don't drink dark beers because they want a real beer. "bud light." Or, "too many calories." I don't know if the last one is true. Just something I've herad.

I think I need a drukeneese translator for this post. Where's Zul'jin when you need him?!? :D

ChshreCat said:
This was my childhood memory beer.

We used to call it "animal beer" for obvious reasons.

A little off topic, but the old Schmidt Brewery in St. Paul, MN is being converted to artist lofts, and since SWMBO skews toward the creative side, we might be looking at living in a brewery. Sweet.

beer my grandfather drank, and pretty sure the first beer I ever tasted.

Buckeye Brewing Company also brewed Meister Brau & Meister Brau Lite. The labels were bought by the Miller Brewing Company and Meister Brau Lite is still brewed today as Miller Lite.

medium_buckeye-beer-crack-one-open.jpg

I think I need a drukeneese translator for this post. Where's Zul'jin when you need him?!? :D

Meaning, I've heard people say that about dark beers. Too many calories. Or, they want to drink a real beer. So they grab a bud light, or bud. I thougt Bud was always bad ass. It's been gross to me since 08'.

drives_a_bike said:
I used to live in uptown Minneapolis, and hung out with a lot of punk bands. Every time any of my friends had a party, the beer provided was PBR...if we ran out of that, the backup beer was Black Label. I remember asking, "what the hell is Black Label?". And somebody responded, "it's Canada's PBR". Haha

I'm not sure if I posted this before, but a few months back I went to Alabama for my brother Air Force Officer Commisioning. We went out to this local seafood joint, and I asked the waitress what beers they had. She rattled off the regular stuff and I asked off they had any craft beer/microbrews or any Alabama brewed beers.

She said, "brewing beer is illegal in Alabama", trying to be as nice as possible, I said, "well, home brewing is illegal, but there are still breweries". She argued that there wasn't and the only "fancy" beer they had was Ying Ling and since I had never had it, I gave it a shot...reminded me of Grain Belt

The funny part was, I had dinner at The Railyard Brewery the night before...I must have been imagining it though, after all it's illegal to brew beer in Alabama

Not to be the grammar/spelling Nazi, but your spelling of Yuengling reminded me of a story about myself. Yuengling wasn't available near me until a couple years ago. In my early drinking days, I'd hear people talking about it and think, "Yingling? Is that Chinese?"

Just thought of 2 related to home brew. I was telling a coworker about different hops and flavors and he says "that's what gives the beer more alcohol right". Another I was talking to a new home brewer about an Irish red I was doing and he thought the Irish moss is what made the beer " Irish "

Just thought of 2 related to home brew. I was telling a coworker about different hops and flavors and he says "that's what gives the beer more alcohol right". Another I was talking to a new home brewer about an Irish red I was doing and he thought the Irish moss is what made the beer " Irish "

Haha have heard about the hops giving more alcohol. I ask, "so what do you make think that, chemistry wise?" They of course don't know.

Haha have heard about the hops giving more alcohol. I ask, "so what do you make think that, chemistry wise?" They of course don't know.

I've heard a number of people, mostly young microbrew knowitalls and homebrewers, claim that hops are in the same family as, and in many ways similar to, that other popular budding plant.

I've heard a number of people, mostly young microbrew knowitalls and homebrewers, claim that hops are in the same family as, and in many ways similar to, that other popular budding plant.

It is. A resiny, psychoactive (though far less so) in the plant family Cannabaceae.

Latest posts

Back