Chromebook from Google

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
At $199 it seemed like a good deal, so I got one.

From the box, the thing is lightening fast. Wow.

I guess it should be, it isn't hindered by windows and whatever other junk they left out of this PC.

For HBT, surfing in general, watching video, and email, it is lightening fast and user friendly.

At first glance it is a Macbook. No virus protecion needed, the 2 finger scroll on the touchpad, tap to left click, etc. are all very mac.

Can't load playon or much else on it without purchasing some software that looks questionable about how well it will function.

My verdict? It is awesome, but can't be your only computer.

Is that the one with the touch display?

i wouldn't say virus protection isn't needed. maybe not vital, but probably needed. like anything electronic, if it can be hacked... it will be. other than that they do look awesome. like a functional netbook.

It is NOT touchscreen. It is so much like a big smartphone I find myself urged to touch the screen ;)

It says that Google automatically takes care of virus protection without you seeing it, so it does have VP, I just don't need to do anything. I have tested it;)

It is NOT touchscreen. It is so much like a big smartphone I find myself urged to touch the screen ;)

It says that Google automatically takes care of virus protection without you seeing it, so it does have VP, I just don't need to do anything. I have tested it;)

oh snap. that's awesome.

oh snap. that's awesome.

Lets hope!

It is Google, and I figure failure in that pledge might be pretty damaging PR, so I am willing to trust it fairly far.

Flip the thing open and it is staring at you like, "OK, ready whenever you are!(WTF is this guy waiting for???)"

Turn it on and it is easily 5 seconds faster than my snow leopard macbook at start-up. And no "ready but still thinking". It is ready. Click "email" and 2 seconds later I am looking at my fully populated inbox.

that's freakin' awesome. a side note though, i really don't like google's privacy policies. i think they are way to eager to harvest data and keep my information. i do enjoy my privacy. that being said google is taking over and will eventually dominate. especially if their data service ever actually delivers 700 megs/sec... i guess i'll have to live with them.

Had one for about two years now. If you're ready to switch to all cloud computing then there is nothing better. Turns on faster than a regular computer can wake up.

oh snap... that's terrible. no wonder you don't need virus protection... i don't think i would ever be interested in something like that. i think it would last even less time at my house than the netbook i bought once. that was terrible idea.

El Hubbo's net book crapped out and considering one of these. Can we get an update on how you're liking this device still? Any problems with it so far?

It is fantastic for $200.

It is trying to be a mac and gets a B+.

It is fast as hell for email and basic browsing. The slide toggle screen (little black square where you put your fingers to scroll or move cursor) is nowhere near as rliable and responsive as a mac, but it certainly works.

Liked it enough to get another one for my kids.

Back