7cu ft freezer sale starting tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewcrew02

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cheap!

ForumRunner_20121107_222655.jpg

This is showing up on Home Depot's website as "online only" and there is a $39 shipping charge, so $197. Still not a bad price but much closer to the very well reviewed $229 GE 7 cu foot freezer.

This is showing up on Home Depot's website as "online only" and there is a $39 shipping charge, so $197. Still not a bad price but much closer to the very well reviewed $229 GE 7 cu foot freezer.

Regardless of what the website says, the photo is from a store. The pricing sign says 'Holiday Savings Start Now', probably a new store promo that hasn't hit the web.

If it's halfway decent, that's a heck of a deal. I could sell my GE 5.5 and break even:D....

I think this is the same freezer I have. It will comfortably fit 4 pin lock kegs (one on the hump, with a collar) and I do not know if 4 ball locks will fit on the floor, but kinda doubt it.

as a general question to those who use chest freezers, how does storing bottles of homebrew work out in it? id like to invest in one of these, but i feel that i'd miss the convenience of being able to open the door from the front and have racks of bottles. how have you worked around this? (also im sorry if there is another thread pertaining more directly for this, but if there is i couldn't find it)

I think this is the same freezer I have. It will comfortably fit 4 pin lock kegs (one on the hump, with a collar) and I do not know if 4 ball locks will fit on the floor, but kinda doubt it.

Only three on the floor. I have a 7.2 and that one can fit 4 on the floor, but it's a tight fit..

Seriously resisting the urge to go buy one or two of these right this second. (Fermentation chamber & possibly a keezer.) Why, oh why, do I keep coming back to HBT? Seriously, I all ready have to make over 300 more six packs to get back in the black!

Maybe I'll wander down to measure how many carboys one could hold...that won't hurt, right?

Don't think 4 will fit on the floor, but def one on the hump. These are in stores (why I posted this) while supplies last for pre-black-friday. I sold 3 for the keezer specific reason today. They had me kinda run the show since I know the ins and outs due to my brew hobby. Go my friends... and enjoy.

as a general question to those who use chest freezers, how does storing bottles of homebrew work out in it? id like to invest in one of these, but i feel that i'd miss the convenience of being able to open the door from the front and have racks of bottles. how have you worked around this? (also im sorry if there is another thread pertaining more directly for this, but if there is i couldn't find it)

I stick bottles in mine, in the gaps between the kegs. It is less than convenient (especially since I usually store stuff on top of my keezer) With the four kegs and CO2 tank in there, I bet I could also store a case of loose bottles.

Anyone know the internal dimensions of the Magic Chef freezer? I plan on splitting 5 gallon batches between bottles and the 2.5 gallon stackable kegs. Is the freezer tall enough for the stackable kegs since two stacked (29") is taller than a 5 gallon corny?

I may have to look at this freezer tomorrow after work.

These look identical to the GE and other brands currently available - other than subtle differences in the lid design and controller.

Magic Chef HMCF7W

Floor dimensions (not counting the hump space)
Length: 21 5/8
Width: 15 7/8
Height: 25

i bought a 10 cf off craigslist to turn into a keezer. wife loved it so much it's now our "freezer for ice cream and pizza". i can buy this 1 and take back that 10 cf :D

Has anyone ever loaded one of these into the back of a Tahoe? Maybe w/o the box...?

edit: on second thought, I can just rent a HD truck fof $20 and drive 2 of these to my house which is only 1.5mi away from the store. It is just not worth damaging the interior to save a few bucks.

limulus said:
Has anyone ever loaded one of these into the back of a Tahoe? Maybe w/o the box...?

edit: on second thought, I can just rent a HD truck fof $20 and drive 2 of these to my house which is only 1.5mi away from the store. It is just not worth damaging the interior to save a few bucks.

+2. People don't utilize our trucks enough. I WILL say, a 5 cu. ft. freezer fits in a 2008 prius no problem. Surprised? I sure as feck was!!

Brought six bags of grain back for trip to Wisconsin 6 cases of beer and still got 46 miles to a gallon at an average of 78 miles an hour, in my wife's prius. Amazing how much room is in them with the seats down.:off:

I stopped into my HD today to pick up a couple of things and there it was for $158. They also had a 3.1-cf or something fridge for $98. For $158, I'm really thinking about just buying two of these. I need a fermentation chamber and this is just cheaper than building a chamber with a mini fridge.

How many corny kegs will this hold?

4 ball locks.

My store had at least 8 of them on the shelf. $158.

4 ball locks will fit.

Only three on the floor. I have a 7.2 and that one can fit 4 on the floor, but it's a tight fit..

4 ball locks will fit.

Don't think 4 will fit on the floor, but def one on the hump. These are in stores (why I posted this) while supplies last for pre-black-friday. I sold 3 for the keezer specific reason today. They had me kinda run the show since I know the ins and outs due to my brew hobby. Go my friends... and enjoy.

I bought this freezer today. It will fit 4 ball lock kegs on the floor. I tested this. It's tight, but nothing has to bend to get them in there.

I now have 3 ball locks, a 20# CO2 tank, a regulator, and a 4-port manifold in there. I moved my 15 cu.ft. to the garage for fermenting / untapped keg storage.

passedpawn said:
4 ball locks.

4 ball locks will fit.

4 ball locks will fit.

I bought this freezer today. It will fit 4 ball lock kegs on the floor. I tested this. It's tight, but nothing has to bend to get them in there.

I now have 3 ball locks, a 20# CO2 tank, a regulator, and a 4-port manifold in there. I moved my 15 cu.ft. to the garage for fermenting / untapped keg storage.

atta boy Pawn

4 ball locks.

4 ball locks will fit.

4 ball locks will fit.

Jealousy ensues

4 ball locks.

4 ball locks will fit.

4 ball locks will fit.

Good info, thanks. This seems like a better option to the GE. I've read the GE will only hold 3 on the floor. I plan to keep two 5 gal ball lock and two 2.5 gal ball lock kegs in there.

I bought one for this exact price at this exact time last year. It's a GE 7.0 though, not a Magic Chef. (this is an edit, sorry if my op misled anyone!)

I've been using it heavily as a fermentation chamber with a temp controller. It's held up quite well. It will comfortably fit 2 6G Carboys on the floor and room for a stirplate/blowoff jar on the hump. With a collar you could get a 3rd Carboy in there too.

Just thought you'd all like to know I've been very very pleased with that purchase. I've fermented 35 batches of beer in it (roughly) so far, and I keep my temp controller at 2F intervals for the freezer...and it cycles way less than another chest freezer/temp controller I'm using as fridge (which is, in it's defense, set for 36F as opposed to 63F most of the time).

I bought one for this exact price at this exact time last year. I've been using it heavily as a fermentation chamber with a temp controller. It's held up quite well. It will comfortably fit 2 6G Carboys on the floor and room for a stirplate/blowoff jar on the hump. With a collar you could get a 3rd Carboy in there too.

Just thought you'd all like to know I've been very very pleased with that purchase. I've fermented 35 batches of beer in it (roughly) so far, and I keep my temp controller at 2F intervals for the freezer...and it cycles way less than another chest freezer/temp controller I'm using as fridge (which is, in it's defense, set for 36F as opposed to 63F most of the time).

35 batches in a year! Dude, that's a lot of brewing...and a lot of drinking. I'll probably be buying mine tomorrow.

jbaysurfer said:
I bought one for this exact price at this exact time last year. I've been using it heavily as a fermentation chamber with a temp controller. It's held up quite well. It will comfortably fit 2 6G Carboys on the floor and room for a stirplate/blowoff jar on the hump. With a collar you could get a 3rd Carboy in there too.

Are you sure it's the same model? Because I did some quick math and assuming the internal dimensions are accurate 22 x 16 without the hump. That means the diagonal is a bit more than 27. A 6 gallon carboy is 12 inches in diameter which means you need an approximately 29 inch diagonal. Additionally the ge is bigger 24 x 15 and its a tight squeeze there.

oh man, I really scored on this freezer... the planets must've aligned perfectly... I had a home depot coupon for a one time use, $50 off $100 that expired the day this deal came out, I was able to get the freezer for $100! Put it in will-call and picked it up last night. Can't wait to assemble the kegerator!

Are you sure it's the same model? Because I did some quick math and assuming the internal dimensions are accurate 22 x 16 without the hump. That means the diagonal is a bit more than 27. A 6 gallon carboy is 12 inches in diameter which means you need an approximately 29 inch diagonal. Additionally the ge is bigger 24 x 15 and its a tight squeeze there.

I am not only not sure, I just realized, this is a Magic Chef 7 and I have a GE 7.

Since I bought for this exact price in an HD store last year during this week, I assumed it was the same. Thanks for clarifying, and sorry if I misled anyone.

FTR, my GE 7.0 has a 28" diagonal and fits 2 better bottle carboys perfectly:
photobucket-6342-1352915928321.jpg

35 batches in a year! Dude, that's a lot of brewing...and a lot of drinking. I'll probably be buying mine tomorrow.

Please see my revised post and response response above. I don't want anyone to pull the trigger because of my mistake!

Regarding 35 batches, it's shocking how fast it goes. For one, I almost never get a full 5g out of my batches even when I plan for a 5.5G batch because of sediment/trub/samples and equipment losses. For 2, I've given a lot of beer away. I genuinely love brewing it, but as you reconized, there's only so much I can drink. For 3, I share what I don't give away by inviting friends over whenever possible.

In the end, I have 6 taps flowing as often as possible, and I generally rotate through those taps every couple of months. If beer gets old/stale/funky, I dump it, but I try to give it away before that happens. Several of my neighbors bring their own swingtop bottles over for fill ups and they frequently request me to bring beer to their parties.

Makes me happy to know my beer is good enough that they keep coming back for more, but I have no problem cutting people off if they get greedy or I just don't have the spare inventory.

Also, I've gained 15 pounds over the course of year, so I guess I'm drinking my fair share. Luckily I felt I was 5-10 lbs UNDERweight when I started, so I'm not too portly these days, though I did just put on a pair of pants that don't fit anymore :p

Latest posts

Back