BeerSmith for Android and IPhone Almost Available!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I received an email from Brad Smith yesterday. He released the details on the final "lite" versions of the BeerSmith Android and IPhone app as a preview to those on the BeerSmith mailing list.

Anyway, it states that the apps will be available to the general public in late October/early November.

The lite version allows you to search, browse, and download recipes from the BeerSmithRecipes.com database, has the full brewday timer, and most of the standard calculators and converters available in the BeerSmith desktop software. The lite app also contains all of the data that appears on a standard BeerSmith brewsheet for brewday, like gravities, IBUs, ABV, volumes, and aging and carbonation times. The lite app also has the equivilant of the BeerSmith recipe creater, with a style guide that references based on beer style, hops, grains, yeast, misc ingredients, and water volumes.

The BeerSmith Lite app is going to be $3.99 in the Android (Google Play) and Apple app stores in late October/early November!!

I am guessing you can just import your beerxml's the same way you do with Brewzor?

Not exactly....you have to upload your recipe to the BeerSmithRecipes.com cloud server, then the apps can access them from there. You can't access recipes that are just on your local drive.

So no dropbox, skydrive, google, icloud or any of the mainstream options? Strange choice.

I am assuming this app only works with a wifi or 3g/4g connection, then? Oh well, brewzor it is.

You use the cloud to transfer recipes (not via files or dropbox), but there is the option to copy those recipes to local storage on your phone/tablet so you can still use it when you are offline (no wifi/3g connection).

The lite version does not allow recipe editing/creation, but does have a full brew day timer, reference, tools, and unit converters. The full version (coming a few months later) will have recipe editing.

Also there is a nice feature to search the thousands of recipes on BeerSmithRecipes.com which is a great way to get new ideas (or waste time at work).

Brad

No
They are private by default unless you make them public.

Brad

I have to say I have used beersmith for a few years now and the new 2.1 update is awesome I'm so happy it ha a brewday timer now. But the cloud now that is about the best new feature I've seen in any software period. It's like social networking meets recipe swap for brewers. Keep up the great work !!

So what's the non-Lite version? the desktop? What's excluded? Any plans to bring the full version to android?

You use the cloud to transfer recipes (not via files or dropbox), but there is the option to copy those recipes to local storage on your phone/tablet so you can still use it when you are offline (no wifi/3g connection).

The lite version does not allow recipe editing/creation, but does have a full brew day timer, reference, tools, and unit converters. The full version (coming a few months later) will have recipe editing.

Also there is a nice feature to search the thousands of recipes on BeerSmithRecipes.com which is a great way to get new ideas (or waste time at work).

Brad

^ this ..... the full version seems to sound pretty similar to the desktop version. I'm hoping with the full version you can import your recipes from the desktop somehow other than the cloud ( which is great ) as you have a 10 recipe limit on the free version and like $20 something for the higher amount of recipes. I guess I could always manually re enter it but that would be a pain.

Back