Which yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
I'm making an oatmeal cookie stout sometime this week.

OG - 1.064

6.5lbs MO
8oz Flaked Toasted Oats
5oz Crisp Crystal 60
5oz Oat Malt
4oz Special B
4oz DeHusked Carafa II

Bitter to 25 IBU w/ Magnum

Adding a cinnamon stick to boil as well as some rum soaked raisins.

Anyway, I've got some 3rd generation washed 1450 or a new vial of WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast.

Just looking for some thoughts as to which one you would choose. I like the mouthfeel of the 1450, and the 2nd generation got very good attenuation, but have never used the WLP090 and heard good things, except it may attentuate a touch too much. Thoughts??

Sorry to bother with my noobness, but o cant wait until I can add rum soaked raisins with confidence!

Quick question, can I increase alcohol content without affecting flavor by adding some turbinado sugar or other malty sugar?

Personally I wouldn't want super attenuation in a stout like that, so I'd definitely go with the 1450 over the super yeast!

I like my stouts sweet though.

Yeah i do too, i'm thinkin i may save the wlp090 for the barley wine i've got planned in a couple months. FWIW the recipe i am tweaking this from, they use wlp090 but never post results. I think a beer like this basically needs to be very clean, which 1450 will provide. Super yeast, you may wait i think.

Back