Colassal Wassail (spiced cider) - New Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplecj

Reaction score
Bottled and aging, getting anxious to bust this out and let my friends try the finished product. Should be good times!!!!

Colossal Wassail (spiced cider) :tank:

Primary Brew - OG 1.064

4 gal cider/juice
**(probably want to get a fifth gallon for topping off and enjoying what's leftover)
~1 gal fresh juiced apples (and maybe a couple pears), sweet or tart depending on desired finished taste
**(14 pounds of apples ~ one gallon) [I used Golden Delicious and Gala 4:3]
2 lb dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp Potassium metabisulphite (or 5 crushed campden tablets) (wait up to 24hrs to pitch yeast if this is used)
2 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
2 tsp Yeast Nutrients
Cooper's Ale Yeast or other appropriate yeast

**You can skip the pectic enzyme and campden if you don't use fresh apple juice or cider, you also would not need to pasteurize but a small amount of juice to dissolve the brown sugar in**

Juice apples first and pasteurize by raising temp to 160 F then removing from heat. (pasteurizing not required with the use of potassium metabisulfite or campden tabs) Once it's removed from heat you can stir in the brown sugar and other additives. If you didn't have enough juice to mix everything, just add some of your bottled apple juice to increase volume. Once the pot has cooled to under 90 degrees (Temp will depend on how cold your remaining juice is) you can empty this into the Primary. Then top off with remaining apple juice, aerate and pitch your yeast!!

Secondary: spices/flavorings
- SG 0.998 (8.5% ABV)

1 cup spiced rum
1/2 cup water
2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 tbs ground)
2 tbs whole cloves (or 1 tbs ground)
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbs ground ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs orange extract
2 tbs lemon juice

After primary fermentation has slowed down considerably (Less than a bubble per minute): Simmer spices in spiced rum and water to help extract flavors. Strain or scoop out cinnamon sticks and cloves if you used whole instead of ground. Add a little extra brown sugar to thicken the sauce before it cools. Add lemon juice and orange extract once the "flavor sauce" has cooled down. Then add it to the empty secondary and rack the cider, mixing well before placing the airlock.

Let sit for at least two weeks then transfer to a tertiary fermenter for another week or so to settle out more sediment before bottling OR just leave in secondary for about three weeks...

Bottling for carbonation:
- FG 0.996 (9.1% ABV)

3/4 cup Dextrose (corn sugar)
1 1/2 cup Lactose (optional for sweetness)

Boil 1 cup water for five minutes, slowly stirring in 3/4 cup dextrose (corn sugar) and add to bottling bucket before racking.

OPTIONAL: Mine went a bit dry for my taste so I also boiled another 2 cups of water and stirred in 1.5 cups of lactose to sweeten and added this to the bottling bucket. I honestly think this was a wise addition!!

Stir well and bottle!! Let age for about one month, should be carbonated within two weeks.

Ok I havent even got everything I need to even brew beer yet but i am looking to start in about a week or two and I was planning on only doing one at a time for now but now that I saw this I think I am going to start with 2 off the bat including this. Just a couple questions though.

1) Can I use all fresh apples and juice them myself because we have an orachard right near me that I could go to.

2) Is there a difference if I start with cider or juice?

3) How crucial is the third fermenter?

Thanks

dataz722 said:
Ok I havent even got everything I need to even brew beer yet but i am looking to start in about a week or two and I was planning on only doing one at a time for now but now that I saw this I think I am going to start with 2 off the bat including this. Just a couple questions though.

1) Can I use all fresh apples and juice them myself because we have an orachard right near me that I could go to.

2) Is there a difference if I start with cider or juice?

3) How crucial is the third fermenter?

Thanks

1) You can go with all fresh apples, but it's expensive. Apples are about $1 per pound and I calculated that you'd need about 60-70 pounds of apples for 5 gallons. Plus you end up with lots of wasted pulp.

If you have an orchard nearby, ask them if they make cider. Normally orchards put out a lot of cider this time of year.

2)Cider is just unfiltered apple juice and either will work fine. Fresh cider from your local orchard might have a better or worse flavor profile than store bought juice. I probably would have gone with 5 gallons cider if I had a choice because the cider I've tasted before had a lot stronger flavor...

The gallon jugs of reconstituted apple juice in your local grocery store will save you a lot of money and time. I opted to add just a bit of fresh to add to the complexity of the flavor. This is not needed and straight store bought will be fine and will not need pasteurization as it is already done.

What ever you use, you need about 5 gallons total juice. Make sure that there are no preservatives added. If you use fresh juiced apples or non-pasteurized cider, you will need to either use campdens and wait 24 hours before pitching yeast in, OR pasteurize all of it by bringing to 160 F then removing from heat as mentioned.

AGAIN, NO PRESERVATIVES IN THE JUICE!! This will prevent fermentation... Just look at the ingredients on the juice. There should only be concentrate apple juice, water, and ascorbic acid (vit C).

You don't even have to add the spices if you want just a straight cider... modify as you wish...

3) Third fermenter is not required, I am going to a third just to allow a bit of extra clearing because I added spices and sugar in the secondary which spurred another round of fermentation, the third fermenter will help clairify, but it's not necessary.

Have you made a similar recipe before? I have been brewing for 3 years and am going to do cider this next month, but I am worried about bottle bombs....

iadams said:
Have you made a similar recipe before? I have been brewing for 3 years and am going to do cider this next month, but I am worried about bottle bombs....

You've been brewing for 3 years and your worried about bottle-bombs? What exactly about this recipe makes you think it will cause excessive pressure in the bottle?

If in doubt, transfer to tertiary and let it sit longer. Bottle bombs are only caused by bottling when there are still too many fermentable sugars left (ie: you bottled too soon or you had a stalled fermentation and were still above your suggested final gravity when you bottled with additional sugar). There should be no more risk with this recipe than with any other brew that is bottled to carbonate. I've only been brewing for several months and I already understand the cause of exploding bottles and how it is prevented.

Bottom line for me here is that with this recipe and the selected yeast, fermentation happened quickly and completely. The addition of more sugar with the spices did cause more fermentation, but it also completed within several days. My gravity is below 1.0 so I can safely assume I will not need to worry about bottle bombs....

If you're worried about exploding bottles, I'd suggest researching it a bit more or consulting one of the resident pros here with a new thread regarding your concerns.

:tank: Just got this batch bottled and it tastes great!! The spices were minimaly evident, but I'm guessing they will shine through once it is aged, carbonated and chilled! I freaking can't wait!!!!!!!!!

High alcohol content means about two bottles of this should kick the ass of any lightweight!! I admittedly got pretty buzzed just sampling it. :drunk:

Addition of lactose I think should be recommended unless you like the taste of really dry white wines.

EDIT: I might also recommend using a fining agent to knock out some of the excess yeast. After tasting a chilled bottle it was rather yeasty flavored. I'm pretty sure this will improve, but now I'm wishing I had done something to clear it a bit more before bottling.

I have several vegan friends and was wondering approximately how much splenda would be needed to achieve what the sweetness that lactose provided.

Other than that sounds like a very nice recipe I'll be giving it a shot in a few weeks.

gpogo said:
I have several vegan friends and was wondering approximately how much splenda would be needed to achieve what the sweetness that lactose provided.

Other than that sounds like a very nice recipe I'll be giving it a shot in a few weeks.

You could look up the sweetness of different sugars to find a ratio for lactose to splenda.

gpogo said:
I have several vegan friends and was wondering approximately how much splenda would be needed to achieve what the sweetness that lactose provided...

Hopefully your Vegan friends are not completely screwed up and think yeast are living animals.

My next cider is getting a bunch of raspberries in the secondary instead of spices.

UPDATE!!!!

Three weeks or so in the bottle and it is now nice and carbed. Yeasty flavor did mellow out alot and the spices seem to be shining through now.

:drunk:
Drank three the other night and ended up much drunker than I wanted. Drink these slowly or it will sneak up on you and kick your butt!!!

:mug:

I just started my batch but I added cranberry to the mix. I started with 5 gallons of apple juice, and 1 gallon of cranberry juice, 4 cups dextrose, nottingham yeast. I plan on adding the spices in secondary. I started yesterday and its thumping away tonight. Smells like honey butter and fresh bread. So nice.

Back