making a Lime Brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrusso

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew up a lime Brew, with a brewers best kit. Isaw a post from revvy that he did a cream ale with Roses marmalade, assuming all grain though. If not a cream ale, how about the American light kit? Any thoughts? my wife loves BLL. SO I'm trying to get close to that for her.

American light? Lager?

I would just go a simple ale recipe

8 lbs 2 row
12 oz crystal 10

1 oz hallertaur 60 min

yeast

serve with a lime

No kit needed.

Thanks for your response. I was looking more though for something that already had the lime in it. I went to my LHBS and the guy there threw some stuff together for me, so we'll see how it turns out. If anyones interested here's what he gave me

4 lbs of Extra Light DME-Muntons

1 lb of Rice Syrup Solid

1oz Cascade

1oz saaz

Safale US-05

1lb Pils grain

1lb Crystal-10L

1lb Cara-Pils

1oz of Brewers Best Lime Peel
Using the first 3/4 during the boil and the last 1/4 in the secondary.

Here's to hoping she likes it!
:mug:

Cheezydemon3 I appreciate your input, I really do, but I'm not looking for a Corona. I know it can be done pre limed. Making this work for my wife the way she wants it is what I'm after. it may not be conventional, but after all isn't this what its all about. Finding new ways to do things? Thanks though I really do appreciate your input. :)

Still up in the air about this one. Really need the more candy lime taste than just pure lime. Anymore input would be great with the ingredients I have so far. A little worried if I used a sweetened lime juice or marmalade (which I think would bring about the flavor im looking for) in the latter end of the boil that when it comes time to bottle my sugars would be off, and I have no idea how to account for such a thing.

I brewed this Lemon-lime Hefe from over in the recipe section. It's lime-tastic! There is also an extract version on there (Post #18). It's very lime-y and the general consensus is that it disappears quickly...

Cheezydemon3 I appreciate your input, I really do, but I'm not looking for a Corona. I know it can be done pre limed. Making this work for my wife the way she wants it is what I'm after. it may not be conventional, but after all isn't this what its all about. Finding new ways to do things? Thanks though I really do appreciate your input. :)

One option I haven't seen mentioned here yet is lime leaf. A few years ago several breweries were brewing with kaffir lime leaves added into the brew. They are pretty easy to find in Asian markets and about .75-1 (fresh) oz added late in the boil of a light beer lends a pronounced lime flavor and aroma that may be what you are looking for. I have two small lime trees growing in pots I've had for 7-8 years just for the leaves.

That's pretty interesting. Never would've thought of that. I think the main thing to get is not only the lime taste, but more the sweet lime taste. Maybe the leaves bring that out? How close to BLL does it get? I'm not looking for the exact replica but something similar, and since its homebrew...better. I don't know. I guess I'm just going to have to give it a try and see what happens.

I brewed this Lemon-lime Hefe from over in the recipe section. It's lime-tastic! There is also an extract version on there (Post #18). It's very lime-y and the general consensus is that it disappears quickly...

I also have brewed the Lemon-Lime Hefe Skagdog is talking about. It is an interesting brew, however I probably won't brew it as a Hefe again simply because I'm not a big Hefe or wheat beer fan.

I'd like to take the lemon-lime hefe recipe and base it around a blonde ale or something similar. The use of the Simply Limeade is rather interesting.

Add 1.75L of Simply Limeade to your secondary like the lemon-lime hefe recipe. Should give you that lime flavor you are looking for.

Cheers!

Skagdog said:

Should say post #18.... But it shows up like a smiley face when you type 8 ) together 8). Oopsie.

The flavor from the leaves is sweeter than zest in my experience. I don't know how close the flavor is to BLL. Never had it.
Thanks for the input. Well after what seems like a long back and forth journey to make a beer that my wife wants, I'm going to brew today. I've decided to go with some dried lime peel in the boil and zest in the secondary. This may or may not turn out good at all, but after putting together everyones advice and reading some past posts about how the lime flavor seems to fall out, and the fact that I already have the peel, this seems like the way to go. The only undecided I have is whether I will use the whole ounce of peel, or just a half since i'm zesting later anyway. Anyway thanks everyone and in about a month or so i'll let you know how it went. :tank:

What I do to add lime to my "Summertime Lime" is zest 6 limes into 1 cup of citrus vodka, and add the juice of the limes as well. I let that soak for a week, then strain the vodka and add it directly to the keg. It imparts a noticeable lime flavor and aroma. Good Luck with your Lime Ale!

What I do to add lime to my "Summertime Lime" is zest 6 limes into 1 cup of citrus vodka, and add the juice of the limes as well. I let that soak for a week, then strain the vodka and add it directly to the keg. It imparts a noticeable lime flavor and aroma. Good Luck with your Lime Ale!
I like that idea, only thing is I bottle, and i'm sure no pro at trying to figure between that and the priming sugar, so i'm a bit hesitant to try anything like that at bottling time. :eek:

I just made an all grain lemon lime blonde ale that tastes pretty darn good. I like to call it a sports beer

10# 2-row mashed at 154 for 60 with 1 batch sparge to get to volume
1 oz Saaz at 60 min boil
1 oz Cascade at 5 min boil

5 gallon volume

Added zest from 4 lemons/4 limes at flameout (soaked in a bit of vodka overnight to sanitize)

Tastes great and is refreshing (and fairly cheap)

I just made an all grain lemon lime blonde ale that tastes pretty darn good. I like to call it a sports beer

10# 2-row mashed at 154 for 60 with 1 batch sparge to get to volume
1 oz Saaz at 60 min boil
1 oz Cascade at 5 min boil

5 gallon volume

Added zest from 4 lemons/4 limes at flameout (soaked in a bit of vodka overnight to sanitize)

Tastes great and is refreshing (and fairly cheap)
Nice idea. I brewed it today. Recipe on page #1. What I did was throw 1/4 oz of dried lime peel with 15 minutes left and threw another 1/4 in with 5 minutes left. I'm going to use lime zest for the secondary, i'd try the lemon, but my wife only really likes the lime taste, so i'm not sure if that would work for her, i'll post good or bad how this one goes.

So after brewing this beer 1/4 oz lime peel last 15 min of boil, another 1/4 oz lime peel in secondary along with zest from 4 limes here's how it turned out. I let it ferment for about a 1 week, and secondary for 2. After bottling and it sat for about 2 weeks it tasted a lot like peel, pretty bitter, but a of today letting it sit it the bottle until now, that bitter taste has fallen out almost completely. It's really not bad at all. I think next time I would use no peel at all and zest in the last 15 of boil and zest in secondary and this beer might be really good (if you like lime of course) :mug:

Watch out for "beer dermatitis" when working with limes and sun. Search it on google. Happened to someone I know, it's not serious but can stain your skin for a few months. Just an FYI.

I do a Ginger Lime Saison that is fabulous. I don't use nearly that much zest and no peel whatsover. IIRC it was 5 Kaffir Lime leaves and zest from half a lime, all in the boil. I also find that when zesting, try to avoid as much of the white as you can. It is the bitter part.

The Saison tastes nothing like a BLL (thank God, they are disgusting!) but it definitely turns out a sweetish, complex limey brew. I add candi sugar at high Kraussen but use Wyeast 3711 which dries it right out to a nice level so as not to be cloying. It is extremely drinkable even though it weighs in at a little over 9% ABV:ban:

Back