My first crack at a recipe. Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
I'm looking to develop a house pale ale that's under 4.5% and this is what I've come up with. I'd like to know what you all think. Should I up the specialty malts to keep a good mouthfeel since this will be a light beer? Keep in mind this is my first recipe.

House Pale Ale:

5.5 Gallon batch (All Grain)

6 lbs. Pale Malt
.5 lb. CaraPils
.5 lb. Crystal 60
.5 lb. Munich

1oz. Amarillo 60 minutes
1 oz. Cascade 10 min
.5oz. Cascade 5
1 oz. Citra Dry Hop

US-05

Mash temp 158F
Ferment 65F

If you mash at 158, the Munich and carapils I think you will have a good amount malt in the body. My house pale is pale malt and crystal 60 in about the same ratio that you are using. I get plenty of body from just those two malts and mashing at 154.

Here's another thought. I couldn't get Citra, so I just got 2 oz. Amarillo and 2 oz. Cascade. I'm starting to wonder what order I should hop these in. And, which hop I should use to dry hop (leaning towards Amarillo).

However, what if I mixed all 4 oz. up in the beginning and just tossed in the mixture at the intervals I listed? Would that be too over the top complex?

Here's another thought. I couldn't get Citra, so I just got 2 oz. Amarillo and 2 oz. Cascade. I'm starting to wonder what order I should hop these in. And, which hop I should use to dry hop (leaning towards Amarillo).

However, what if I mixed all 4 oz. up in the beginning and just tossed in the mixture at the intervals I listed? Would that be too over the top complex?

That's exactly what I did in a recent IPA. Haven't tasted it yet but I think the mixture of 3 hops (in my case) will be good.

MC

I'm of the opinion that you shouldnt waste the beautiful citrusy Amarillo on bittering. I'd do cascade for 60 and 10, then use the Amarillo for aroma and dry hop. Just did that on my most recent pale ale and it smells unbelievably good

In my limited experience with writing recipes, I think this looks pretty tasty. I agree with the lower mash temp, though.

I am now actually thinking of maybe upping the Pale Malt to 7 lbs to round it out. Any consequence to this?

Looks pretty good to me. I would mash much lower; however, I prefer a dry mouthfeel in my APAs.

I agree on the hop schedule though - move your Amarillo to one of the 10/5 minute additions with Cascade in its place.

Back