Stinky better bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmBeachPaul

Reaction score
Hi Guys, 3 month ago I forgot to wash my better bottle (I know, I know...but pregnant wife and some other issues makes you forget almost everything). One month later, I saw the better bottle full of fungus and other gray stuff, so I put some bleach and I was going to rinse it but I was on call and left town for about 45 days. Yesterday, I remember about the better bottle, I rinse it (thoroughly) for about 30 minutes.
The problem is the smell, now it has a terrible odor (a mix of fungus and bleach odor).
It's my better bottle dead? Should I throw it away and get another one? Is there a product that can take the odor away? Does that odor will impregnate my next batch?? :confused:
Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time, cheers

Try soaking it for a few days full of Oxyclean and water. If that doesn't help, then you probably should toss it.

Nothing should get in the way of remembering beer brewing! Shame on you. Pregnancy, wives, babies - next you are going to say your dog hid the bottle from you! LOL

+1 on the Oxyclean - forget the bleach in the future unless you are going to watch if and rinse soon. You might think about using a corny to ferment so you can avoid the plastic clean up issues should you forget again.

LOL...my dog did try to hide the bottle from me...she's a great dane, so it was easy for her :)
I'll try oxyclean, no more bleach but I thought plastic was easy to clean, no odors or any type of residues. Don't want to use glass, there are horrible histories on glass carboys.
homebrewing.org has a corny lid with a 3/4 inch port hole for an airlock bung. For $12.99 I'll give that a try. I hope the better bottle can be saved, don't want to trow 27 bucks away.
Thank you Mckbrew and Samc for your help. :)

+1 on a few day soak in oxyclean. Then you can also do a few day soak with a cup or so of baking soda mixed in. That should pull any residual odors.

I have found that putting the BB with oxy out in the sun seems to increase the cleaning. Don't know if it is the heat or UV, but it does work better and faster.

Back