Recipe without crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucepepper

Reaction score
I'm all out of crystal but would like to brew during the next couple of days. I would really like to make a batch on the malty side (maybe a porter, but i'm open to any ideas) and with a slightly higher gravity.(1.060 - 75) I've had trouble finding any proven recipes that don't call for crystal and I'm wondering if any of you have made one.

Here's what I have

-30 lbs. US two row
-1/2 lb. choc.
-1 lb roasted barley
-2 lbs. munich
-2 lbs. vienna
-3 lbs. wheat

I'll be using Nottingham's and I have a decent selection of hops. Let me know if you have any ideas, or if you think I'm making a mistake! Thanks. Oh yeah, it'll be a 5 gallon batch.

You seem to be have the misconception that crystal malt is a mandatory ingredient in homebrew. It isn't. In fact many times crystal is overused. That said I would generally add some to a porter for some background sweetness and complexity but you can certainly make beer with what you have.

I would suggest some type of stout since you have enough roasted barley for one. Here is a quick grain bill for the recipe:

8 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Munich
1 lb wheat (you don't say malt or flaked but either will work)
3/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb chocolate malt

:mug:

Thanks Ed,

I haven't brewed a stout in a while so I may give it a try. Thanks for the advice and the recipe.

Back