Leftover soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After receiving a keg with leftover soda, I've cleaned it twice. I can't get the soda smell out. How long can I soak it with a PBW solution? And are there any better products to remove smell?

Thanks in advance.

PBW should work but you are going to have to replace all of the rubber gaskets too. That's where a lot of the smell comes from.

I had one I couldn't get the rootbeer smell out of even after changing the o-rings. I made 5 gallons of lemonade and used that keg now it no longer smells like rootbeer.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm trying a weekend long soak in a PBW solution. Then I'll do the baking soda bath for a day. My cider should be done by then, so if those two things don't work, then hopefully the cider gets the smell out.

PBW soak (2.5 days) and Baking Soda (a few hours) worked. Still a faint smell, but 99% gone. Anyone reading this in the future, use that method.

Back