After 2 years I finally had my first boil over!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasontheBeaver

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Oh well at least it's just a sweet stout so it's not like THAT should be very sticky. Ah the smell of burnt sugar on a hot day... :cross:
As soon as it happened I thought I heard a faint "hooray!" from somewhere just outside my garage where it occurred. Later I figured out it was the resident ants; they saw the mother lode of sugar hit the floor and knew they were gonna eat like kings that night. :tank:

How did a 2 year veteran make such a rookie mistake? All the following reasons contributed:
1) Only my 2nd 10 gallon batch in my 15 gallon keggle; not used to it being that full.
2) New banjo burner that puts out some serious BTUs, still not used to it.
3) Throwing in my pellet hops just as it started to boil... volcano!
4) Thinking I was a grizzled veteran and that a silly rookie mistake like that couldn't happen to me.

Now I just need to drop a glass carboy full of beer and I will have completed my list of required mistakes.

Holy crap! I'm only on batch 5 and 3 out of 5 have boiled over. Despite my best efforts to scoop foam, and stir and blow, and anything else I could think of. To much liquid all 3 times but I keep thinking I can stop it somehow:eek: Oh well, a little extra scrubbing at the end.:tank:

Holy crap! I'm only on batch 5 and 3 out of 5 have boiled over. Despite my best efforts to scoop foam, and stir and blow, and anything else I could think of. To much liquid all 3 times but I keep thinking I can stop it somehow:eek: Oh well, a little extra scrubbing at the end.:tank:

Spray with Starsan when the hot break happens. Works like a charm.

You haven't really brewed until you have done a few 7 gallon boils in a 30 qt turkey fryer pot. 7.5 gallons that is. It leaves about 1 - 1.5 inches above the wort. Almost impossible not to get some liquid over the lip. Not really a boil over just the turbulence going over.

Fortunately all of my boil overs have been outside after I went to propane and full boil recipes.

I have used Fermcap S over the last 10 batches at a rate of 2 drops per gallon with zero boils overs! Works great and no more worries of boil overs especially with 10 gallon batches.

tumblr_mmi11sUuj61ro8ysbo1_500.gif

I always feel like this when i add hops...

Hell ya. I always have a spray bottle of Starsan on brewdays so I use that. One less thing I need to worry about.

This. I always have a spray bottle of Starsan on brewdays, and I know I'm never going to use it all for sanitation purposes, so I also use it to control boil over.

Maybe.... Maybe star-san is just as tasty as lupulin, and we don't know it... and star-san is the secret ingredient...

SMaSS coming right up!

JasontheBeaver said:
This sucker boiled over so fast I would've needed a garden hose of starsan. I just need to watch and quickly adjust my burner at that moment I think.

Yeah that's what I do. Turn it away down -almost off, then slowly back on until hot break is done.

Super awesome brew ninja stealth trick: turn burner off, add hops, turn burner back on. Have spray bottle in had whilst doing so and viola! Win.

Oh well at least it's just a sweet stout so it's not like THAT should be very sticky. Ah the smell of burnt sugar on a hot day... :cross:
As soon as it happened I thought I heard a faint "hooray!" from somewhere just outside my garage where it occurred. Later I figured out it was the resident ants; they saw the mother lode of sugar hit the floor and knew they were gonna eat like kings that night. :tank:

How did a 2 year veteran make such a rookie mistake? All the following reasons contributed:
1) Only my 2nd 10 gallon batch in my 15 gallon keggle; not used to it being that full.
2) New banjo burner that puts out some serious BTUs, still not used to it.
4) Thinking I was a grizzled veteran and that a silly rookie mistake like that couldn't happen to me.

Now I just need to drop a glass carboy full of beer and I will have completed my list of required mistakes.

Done the boilover once or twice, even with a 5 gallon batch in a keggle. Never dropper a carboy full of beer, but I have dropped two empty ones. Fermented in buckets for a while after that. And, Go Ducks!

And wait for the hot break to end before adding hops! :)

Shh!! Can't give away all secrets. Super awesome brew ninja stealth trick number two: It is much funnier to tell rookie partial secret, laugh at him as he panics, then tell him full secret, than to tell him full secret from the start.

Back