How to adjust strike temps in beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfduke

Reaction score
I have a new system and i'm about 5 degrees to the cool side off on my beersmith strike water temps compared to where my mash settles in at. Is there an easy way to account/correct for that in the system aside from changing my mash tun heat loss ratio?

Thanks...

Are you entering your grain temp and MT temp in the "mash" tab of the recipe before you begin? From the equipment side, the heat loss ratio, size, and weight are the only adjustments I've seen that should affect strike temp...

Are you entering your grain temp and MT temp in the "mash" tab of the recipe before you begin? From the equipment side, the heat loss ratio, size, and weight are the only adjustments I've seen that should affect strike temp...

Great answer. My mash tun and grains at this time of year are 66° instead of the beersmith default of 72°. I also factor the pre heat temp. So once I'm set with the true grain and mash tun temp in beersmith (66°) I add 11° to my strike water, to preheat my cooler, wait 10 minutes and the water usually is at the recommended temp to add the grain.

Back