?Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
I messed up at the LHBS the other day.

I intended to buy 3lbs of Crystal 20L but instead I bought 3lbs of Crystal 120L. I think it is safe to say this will not be anywhere close to an ESB. With the numbers I got from BrewTarget it seems I am making some sort of brown ale.

Here is the recipe so far:

78% Efficiency
Estimated OG 1.055
Estimated SRM 25

15# Gambrinus 2 row pale malt
3# Crystal 120L
2# Crystal 60L
1# Cara-pils
4oz Black Patent

I'm curious about 2 things.
1) What should my hop schedule be and which hops should I use? I have Vanguard (4.5 AA) Columbus (13? AA) and Willamette (6 AA)
2) What style would this best fall into (I understand the first one may have to be answered before the second)

Sorry, 10 gallon batch size.

You could easily be right. This is only my second recipe.

What's your batch size? I'm thinking 3lbs of 120 is too much for ANY recipe under 15G's

I was thinking along similar lines - 6 pounds of essentially unfermentables out of a 21 pound total grain bill seems like one heck of a sweet, heavy outcome...

Cheers!

Just cut that 120 way back. A pound might even be pushing it. The darker the crystal the more pronounced the flavor. If you're going to buy anything. Maybe some pale chocolate and more base grain to get your OG back up

Not sure how Columbus would work..sounds interesting..if you did, use for a 60 minute hop. I've never used Vanguard, but looks like it's more a flavor/aroma hop. I know Williamette would work nicely for late additions or even a dry hop. Personally, I'd use something like Norther Brewer or Cluster for bittering a brown..but it's ultimately your brew and you'd have to tell us how it worked out :)

The problem is that all the specialty grains I bought are in one bag. I know how they are layered in there but I feel it would be futile to try and grab out any specific grain from the bag.

So, on my lunch today, I am going back to the LHBS and I think I will try to make the ESB I wanted to in the first place. What do you think about...

17lbs 2-row pale malt
1.5lbs Crystal 60L
1lb Crystal 20L
1lb Cara-pils
(maybe) 4 oz black patent for color

1 oz Columbus FWH
1 oz Willamette 30min
1 oz willamette 5min

Not really ESB hops...

I'd hate to see that grain wasted. I'd consider using a quarter of the specialty grain bag you have and maybe throw in a pound of Crystal 20 and a bit of Pale chocolate and go for an amber/brown

I wouldn't waste the grain I bought. In fact, I was thinking about mixing the bag up and using half of it as part of a grain bill to a porter (obviously buying more specialty grains for that recipe). But, I REALLLLLLLLLY want to brew an ESB. Are you claiming the hops wouldn't be good because they are not UK hops or because you think the flavors just wouldn't be good with the grain bill?

Bumping.

I'm going to the LHBS in about a half an hour and looking for any more advice before I spend my money.

H-ost said:
Bumping.

I'm going to the LHBS in about a half an hour and looking for any more advice before I spend my money.

I'd go with east kent holdings and or fuggles for hops and marris otter for the base

I appreciate your help bnil!

I think I will stick with the pale malt I have (bought in bulk)

I want to stay with the hops because I have a pound of each of those varieties but for sake of better taste I may buy the two you recommended.

Back