Dallas/Fort Worth Group Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a sack of two row from home brew headquarters since I was Dallas today.

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

Anyone friendly enough to try emailing the three new breweries opening in Dallas?

I always heard some small breweries would sell sacks to home brewers at cost, but had no luck from Franconia and Rahr. Franconia never replied and Rahr replied they used every sack they could get.

Anyone wanna try?

Deep Ellum Brewery, Lakewood Brewery,
Peticolas Brewery.

I hope to resurrect this bulk buy this year at Brew Riot by manually talking to brewers about a bulk order. That way it is in person and I can get email addresses/phone numbers.

40-45 sack pallet should be obtainable this way.

I plan for at least 5 sacks for myself. I brew 10 gallon all-grain and get about 3 batches per sack. Since unmilled grain easily lasts a year if kept cool, a bulk buy can give me more money to spend on hardware at my LHBS...

Anyone serious enough or planning to go to Brew Riot feel free to post. I am awaiting current pricing info and list.

Well, despite it looking like the OP lost interest, I too would be in for 1 each of 2 row and maris otter. I live in Oklahoma, but pass through Dallas often.

Brewhaus in Keller sells 50lb bags just under $50 but I bet for a large order they may be willing to drop the prices. Probably not as good as the prices the OP posted but it might be worth giving them a ring.

I only somewhat lost interest. We couldn't get close to completing the order because the interest was not there. For 1/2 pallet it would be no savings over what I could get at HBHQ.

Alright time for an update.

Looks like country malt supply has better pricing and selection-

Here is the price list (thanks to the Houston Group thread)-

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/downloads/2012 Champlain Updated 012112.pdf

I have started a list -

1. Tealio - 5 sacks
2. rack04 - 2 sacks
3. jhw_murphy - 3 or 4 sacks
4. 40watt - 2 sacks

Total - 12-13 sacks

Anyone who has not yet emailed me name and info, please do.

Anyone from past thread still interested please PM me.

You can go ahead and decide your sacks, but at this point this is really to account for the full pallet.

Freight appears to be somewhere in the $150 range according to the Houston Group Buy I believe, so this will add about $4 to each sack price.

Pm sent to anyone I haven't gotten an email from.

Future interest please PM me (Tealio)

We are up to about 23 sacks today.

Also, I threw something on the local craigslist since there are many brewers scoping out brew stuff.

Update for now.

I pm'ed all the old posters who wanted sacks previously.

I emailed fellow brewers.

jhw_murphy is kind enough to let the group buy utilize his dock/pallet jack/forklift in Garland so that should make the shipping location off the checklist.

I am awaiting info on approx freight charge to the Houston Group Buy, and waiting to hear if Country Malt indeed only provided the less than 2000 lb rate even though they should have provided the 2000-4000 lb rate to their full pallet.

If they only provide the higher rate, this affects sack by only $1-2 so it's not a big deal individually but would need to be accounted for at order time because $1-2 per sack would add up when we are talking 42 sacks.

This is what I am hoping for currently. We can also talk splits on Specialty Crystals or Rice Hulls to fill up the order, but at least so far the order is simple without all the crazy splitting that was going on in the Houston order.

Cheers!

Oops forgot to paste my order estimate-

5 Sacks- I make ales, generally with a base of American Two Row or British Pale Ale. The sack of wheat is to quench my thirst on wheat beers this summer.

Great Western 2-Row (2 sacks) @ $29.00 each for 50 lb sack (HB HQ was $49 a sack las time I bought this)

Great Western Northwest Pale Ale- (1 sack) @ $29.00 for 50 lb sack

Canada Malting Company Wheat Malt- (1 sack) @ $28.60 for 55 lb sack

Baird's Malt Maris Otter- (1 sack) @ $38.50 for 55 lb sack (Paul's British Pale ale was $79 I think last time at HBHQ)

add Freight which I think should be around $4 a sack broken down = $20

My total- *$145.10 (Estimate) vs. $280 Retail Price (Estimate)

I'd be down for (1) sack of Best Malz Pilsner (BZ-PILS), and (1) sack of Marris Otter (BD-MOPA)

Can we order from the hops selection as well? Those are unbeatable prices for hops!

RyanWeary - you just got us up to 30 sacks!

I am good on hops from this falls HopsDirect order, but I'm not against adding hops to the order.

Anyone else feel free to post if you want to add hops. They are an in 11 lb increments.

RyanWeary - you just got us up to 30 sacks!

I am good on hops from this falls HopsDirect order, but I'm not against adding hops to the order.

Anyone else feel free to post if you want to add hops. They are an in 11 lb increments.

So we are still less that 2,000 lbs? Seems like your prices are based on a 32,000 lb order.

Also, it appears that minimum increment for hops is 11 lbs but the minimum contract is 88 lbs.

We are at 11 brewers and 30 sacks of a 42 sack pallet. I am waiting on personal friends still and waiting on replies on 8 private messages that I sent to the brewers who were interested a couple months ago.

rack04- I got my prices from the 2200-4000# column in the pricing sheet.

Hops can be purchased in 11 lb increments, contract is an 88 lb + a year contract, where you order as needed incrementally but lock in the contracted price for the whole year.

I have been very happy with hops direct, but $6.39 lb for Cascade with a 11 lb order is pretty good. Cascades are the only thing not sold out I'd be interested in, but thats just because I have a whole freezer full of hops right now.

Tealio - I'm sorry if I'm missing something but how is payment handled, or were you going to address that when everything is confirmed?

As for the hops purchase I'd be interested if we can find that 88lbs. commitment. If not I'm still happy buying my hops locally. I purchase by the pound from them too and I do want to support the LHBS.

Alright guys! We are sitting at 39 of 42 sacks in just a weeks time. This is really exciting, I thought I was going to have to wait until Brew Riot in May. (Round 2 Maybe?)

Thanks Sewaneemall for adding 6 sacks to our order!

My goal is to make this as clean as possible, so if anyone wants to change your order up or down, please make this the time. Email me or PM, your choice.

I am waiting for total verification on our shipment location in Garland from jhw_murphy and waiting on some details from the Houston buy as well.

These are the tentative plans in order of needing completion...(Which I am also still writing, so if anyone thinks I am missing something, please contact me)

1. Account for a full pallet - 42 sacks

2. Verify shipping location- contact info, details, details, details

3. Get complete order and exact sack count from everyone

4. Call and setup account with Country Malt - verify price points and sack prices

5. Send invoices to each brewer through paypal using info from other HBT Group Buys as a baseline. I know no one wants to just shoot money over to an unknown party, but I promise to be honest, after all... all brewers are family. If anyone needs something additional let me know, and I will help to provide with either phone call, meet for a beer, whatever. Keep in mind most brewers will be in for less than $100, and with a total of $1500, its not like I'm going to dip off to Mexico or anything!

6. Call and complete order - acquire tentative delivery schedule

7. Arrive to shipping location once pallet received- schedule as many brewers possible to pick up on location at time of delivery, orders not picked up need transportation to holding site

8. Drink a cold beer whilst relaxing on my 5 sacks of grain!

Forgot about the hops question- unless there is some pent-up need from everyone else, I think we may be talking just grain. If my freezer wasn't full, I'd totally get some...

RyanWeary- I have really enjoyed my purchases from Hopsdirect. I just checked their site and realized they are sold out on a lot of good stuff though... The Galaxy Hops from Australia are my current fav for single hop IPA!

They also share their crop by limiting online orders to 1 pound on a lot of hops, which I respect because it gives us all a chance to get some.

I even bought some of their hop soap last time I ordered, it was badas!

Wow!! It looks like you've really got everything well in order. I am very appreciative of you taking up this task and helping us all save a few bucks.

As for the hops, I'll look into hopsdirect, thanks for the tip.

Hello Hello.

We still need 2 sacks to reach the 42. Anyone willing to add a sack to their order?

Once the sack total is reached, I will start the account process with Country Malt and begin emailing everyone to get exact sack order.

Tealio:

Can you reserve those spots for my friend? I told him about it and he's interested in buying a few sacks as well. I'll let him know he needs to make up his mind ASAP.

Update: He wants (1) sack of Marris Otter and (1) sack of Best Malz Pils

Boom! Pallet reached. Orders are closed for this group buy unless I have trouble reaching anyone.

I have started communication with Country Malt Supply for account setup.

Everyone should be receiving email/PM soon -

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME TO VERIFY YOUR ORDER AND WHAT BRAND/MALT YOU WOULD LIKE IN YOUR ORDER.

This is just to verify, I know some gave me specifics already.

Cheers guys enjoy the weekend!

Are you sure about that? The lowest cost sack I picked up from Homebrew HQ was great western two row for $49- 10% discount = $45 a sack

same sack is $30 + freight of hopefully $4= $34 a sack

According to your price, I would save $0.62 per bag versus buying from Homebrew Headquarters with the NTHB discount on Weyerman Pilsner.

The original prices were posted almost 6 months ago. You should double check prices now - I know Weyermann has gone up considerably lately.

The current grain buy is based off this: http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/downloads/2012%20Champlain%20Updated%20012112.pdf

I'm getting the "Best Malz" Pils and the Bairds Maris Otter - and at the price break of 2,000# < x > 4,000# we're getting it at .64 per pound and .70 per pound respectively - that works out to $35.20 for a sack of pils and $38.50 for a sack of Maris Otter excluding the shipping costs which I believe are estimated at around $4 per sack of grain. 110 pounds for $81.70....not bad at all.

:mug:

Yes I am sure about the price. I paid $51.30 for a bag (57 pounds) on January 20, 2012. I did used the NTHB discount. The price is also reduced because I got the entire bag. We buy about 15 bags a year (Wyerman Pilsner, Paul's Pale Ale, and Western Two Row). We make 16 gallon batches and that takes a little more than half a bag. We weigh it out a grind at Homebrew Headquarters as we do not yet have a mill. We have thought about that but decided we need to visit the store for Yeast or other sundries regardless. I think it is also important to support our local store as it is great to say, "Let's brew tommorow!" and be able to do so. We use the store for advice and they are always helpful. I store the grain in 5 gallon food grade buckets between brews. They also make great containers to transport the cracked grain.

I'm all about helping out HBHQ, and $51 isn't a bad price. I have invested probably $1500 there last year...

Best Maltz is the closest to Weyerman the Country offers, and a sack price with our price bracket (2000-4000 pound order) will put Best Maltz Pilsner @ .67/lb = $36.85/sack

Canada Malt Pilsen is .53/lb = $29.15/sack

Even with a few dollars shipping each, this is a large enough break in pricing that if I was using 15 sacks a year and I had the ability to store it well, the price break is several hundred dollars.

I still plan to visit HBHQ each brew for specialty malts and yeast, but have invested in my own grain mill to have more control over my millling.

Cheers!

1bag Bairds maris otter
1 bag Breiss 2-row
1 32oz starsan or gallon if 3 others go in on the gallons too.

Alright guys. Update time.

I have received verification on all sacks, so I'm sending out a full pallet order to request an invoice tomorrow.

Country Malt has been great and my account is ready to go.

Flomaster was interested in some Starsan which I believe could be added to the top of the pallet... so if 3 other people are interested in a gallon each, the rate would be $24.50 a gallon once the four gallon box is split. That is a great deal...

I'm going to go ahead and send the order, but if 3 other people are quick to decide on the starsan we can add the box of 4 gallons. Otherwise, I probably won't hold everyone up for more than a couple days.

-Teal

2 of 4 gallons of starsan spoken for -

$24.50 each if anyone else wants one-

I'm going to help jhw_murphy and flomaster out by PM'ing a few other people on the list.

So sorry for the extra communicae... ignore if you don't need any.

First two people to tell me they want some will get it.

Then we order!

Back