Did I just ruin my very first batch of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post, and as per the usual it is out of anxiety. I was pouring a jug of spring water onto the warm wort in the fermentation bucket when the jug slipped and fell inside. I bought the water from the grocery store and had not washed the exterior of the container, only chilled it in the freezer. How likely is it that my beer will experience problems due to a bacterial contamination? Also, what is the best way to tell if this batch is heading south? :confused:
Thanks for your help

You'll be fine.

Your beer is going to be fermenting away in a few hours and it will be fighting off anything it comes across. The way you tell your beer is going bad is to wait until it's fermented, cleared, conditioned, chilled and bottled. Then and only then, when you pour a glass will you know.

Many more batches have been pured down the drain for being "suspicious" than have actually been bad. Don't sell yourself or your beer short.

See it through everytime. I've done well over 230 gallons this year and never had and infection or a "bad" batch of beer.

Relax, dont worry, have a micro brew, and I am sure your batch will turn out fine. Pitch your yeast and see what happens. That is the hardest part of this hobby, waiting...

Welcome to the forums

Back