What broad head do you shoot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnoodle

Reaction score
I'm doing research on broad heads, just wondering what your favorite is. Im shooting a rage 2 blade for deer, and montech stainless steel for predators and other various small game.

Generally I use a titanium tri tip explosive "rambo" style when hunting unicorns.

I don't care about the hide or the meat, I just want the magical horn which is virtually indestructible. You just have to wipe all of the guts off of it.

Am I in the right thread?

cheezydemon3 said:
Generally I use a titanium tri tip explosive "rambo" style when hunting unicorns.

I don't care about the hide or the meat, I just want the magical horn which is virtually indestructible. You just have to wipe all of the guts off of it.

Am I in the right thread?

This made me die!!! :D

Muzzy, Ive want to try Rage, but Ive never been let down by Muzzy, so no switch yet.

1+ Also been thinking bout the Grim Reapers or G5 T3's for deer hunting. But like the quote said, never been let down by good ol Muzzy Broadheads. :ban:

broadbill said:
Are you lost little boy?

Nope just wanted to see what the hunters on this forum used. Also how many other gun/archery threads are there in this section? Last I checked I posted this in general chit chat. Does this not qualify as general chit chat? Broadbill I guess your post about what flooring to put in your basement is ok though.

Slick Trick 100gr magnums. Bow hunted for two years though and all I've killed with it was a raccoon. :mad:

Nope just wanted to see what the hunters on this forum used. Also how many other gun/archery threads are there in this section? Last I checked I posted this in general chit chat. Does this not qualify as general chit chat? Broadbill I guess your post about what flooring to put in your basement is ok though.

Damn. I am with you on this one.

Sorry about my unicorn humor, I was giving the thread a bump as much as anything, but I apologize if it in any way opened the door for insults.(?!?)

Good retort without any apparent venom, but a well placed "Oh but your BS thread is OK?" response.

Pucketts Bloodtrailers, 15 years ago.:(

One of the very first "expandable" broadheads on the market, also killed my biggest buck ever with one.

I digress.....

On a fairly recent boar hunt I used muzzy's, those things are nearly indestructible.

I have used muzzy 100 grain 3 blades for years. I have shot about a dozen deer with them and they always work great. I tried 2 different expanding broadheads and I stopped using them because I didn't getting a complete passthrough. I love the muzzy's because the blades are easy to replace and you can get practice blades for them. I don't even use practice tips, I shoot the practice blades all the time and switch to the razor's when it's time to hunt.

cheezydemon3 said:
Damn. I am with you on this one.

Sorry about my unicorn humor, I was giving the thread a bump as much as anything, but I apologize if it in any way opened the door for insults.(?!?)

Good retort without any apparent venom, but a well placed "Oh but your BS thread is OK?" response.

Hey it's no problem I thought your post was hilarious, it was on topic and was in good humor.

The montech stainless steel I'm shooting are awesome for coyotes, and rabbits. This coyote got a rage because I didn't have anything else in my quiver.

image-3563447189.jpg

I used Muzzy 100's most of my years. The last few years I switched to 125's since my new bow was much more powerful. The impacts were awesome. I long time ago I used SST's and really liked them. Tried expandables and had no love for them. Wanted to try the Montechs but I gave up hunting.

I use fixed blade Muzzy's. I tried out a bunch of expandables, but wasn't really happy with their performance. I had a complete pass though on a 6-pt buck standing less than 20 yards from me. The blades never opened and I never found the buck.

Hey it's no problem I thought your post was hilarious, it was on topic and was in good humor.

The montech stainless steel I'm shooting are awesome for coyotes, and rabbits. This coyote got a rage because I didn't have anything else in my quiver.

:mug:

and DAMN!!!

I didn't know an arrow would do that much damage.

I have used muzzy 100 grain 3 blades for years. I have shot about a dozen deer with them and they always work great. I tried 2 different expanding broadheads and I stopped using them because I didn't getting a complete passthrough. I love the muzzy's because the blades are easy to replace and you can get practice blades for them. I don't even use practice tips, I shoot the practice blades all the time and switch to the razor's when it's time to hunt.

same here. KISS method. I've shot the rage mechanical broad heads. I prefer the muzzy's

One thing that really convinced me to keep shooting the muzzys was when I shot a buck and he dropped in his tracks. I climbed out of the tree and the buck jumped up and started walking right toward me. I was shocked and really thought the thing was going to attack me. I shot a second arrow at him and hit it dead center in the chest at about 10 yards. That one killed him and I found the broadhead sticking out of his hind quarter. It practically passed thru the length of his body. The muzzy's are sharp. I might switch over to the 4 blades if I ever wear out the 3 blades. I've been shooting the same broadheads for at least 8 years and all I do is change the razor blades.

Here is a unicorn for ya. I found this picture on google looking at pictures of the damage different broad heads do. This was done with a rage.(disclaimer I do not make head shots with my bow.)

Also here is the new rage 2 blade with a 2.3" cutting diameter.

image-364638713.jpg

image-3322829156.jpg

I like the Rage 2 blade. I like the cut from the Crimson Talons but the blades are weak.

That's the one thing I don't like about the rage broad heads. All of my shots with rage have had 100% blade deployment, but about 3 of those shots I have hade to replace blades. But I haven't lost any game using the rage, and have made some shots that were not as good as they should have been.

Back