Prioritizing my "on deck" list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, So I have a number of beers floating around in my head (figuratively, not comsumptionalively, yes I just made that word up and have the full intention of utilizing it in common conversation).

I just wanted to gauge the popularity of some of these ideas in conjuncture with season, taste, and overall "ooooooo, sounds fun". Just see what order or priority these should take.

1) Apple Pie Hard Cider (hard cider backsweetened and infused with mulling spices/apple pie spice)- approx 8-9%ABV

2) "Coconut milk" stout (fermented coconut milk as the starter, added into a chocolate rye stout)- approx 6-6.5% ABV

3) Sour Pumpkin Ale (Sour Mashed Pumpkin Ale) Approx. 5-6% ABV

4) Sour Honey Rye Saison (Sour mashed Saison) Approx. 6-7% ABV

5) Almost SMASH Saaz IPA (Columbus bittering, but otherwise all Saaz late additions/dry hop) Approx. 5-6.5% ABV

I can supply recipes for all of these, just didn't want to type if all out if I didn't have to :p

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks

oh, btw, this will all be kegged and if bottled, bottled off the keg. (haven't decided if I would want to carbonate the hard cider).

Some sound interesting; some don't. Like with food, different people like different beer for various reasons, so it's hard to say which would be best - because your best might not match mine. For example, I DO NOT like coconut so I say yuck to that one. On the other hand the cider sounds good. I have Edwort's chilling on the fridge to go with dinner tonight.

Brent

I can truly understand your dislike of coconut. I actually hate coconut meat, (it really is the taste, not the texture), yet I I really enjoy coconut milk. So I am at a toss up lol.

I mean, I kind of assumed the cider and stout would be first since winter is coming up. but really, besides that, I just don't know which to do haha.

It's up to you really. I prioritize based on what I'm itching to brew the most.

I do tend to try to mix up my hoppy beers with my malty beers so that I don't get too burnt out with one style. I also like to make sure I have at least one beer in the 5.5% or less ABV range.

I can truly understand your dislike of coconut. I actually hate coconut meat, (it really is the taste, not the texture), yet I I really enjoy coconut milk. So I am at a toss up lol.

I mean, I kind of assumed the cider and stout would be first since winter is coming up. but really, besides that, I just don't know which to do haha.

I brewed the cider because it makes me think of fall. They go together, I have never made it, so... voila.

Brent

I'd say;
2)the stout may need more aging time
1)The cider dito
5)The quickest one,sounds darn good...
All done back to back of course. This would make them available sooner insomuch as not waiting for too long between brewing each,if you have the fermenters to do so.

I have the fermenting space. The stout I didn't know about aging for it since it wasn't really high gravity. The cider I planned on letting sit for approx. 2 months and have it ready around christmas.

The saaz has been a pet project/idea of mine for a while. It is a quick and easy brew. Thanks for the thoughts. and fermenters shouldn't be a problem.

I said that about the stout because,even though my dark ale wasn't a "big beer" by strict definition,making my Whiskely Ale out of it was cause for aging 9 weeks & 6 days before having to fridge it for 2 weeks before it was ready. And it was OG 1.050,FG 1.010. Go figure?...
It just seems like fuller flavored beers take longer to mature & carbonate,just as if they were truly big beers gravity-wise.

Latest posts

Back