Barleywine from an extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hummer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried making a barleywine from a malt extract beer kit? (Are there any barleywine kits?)

I've tried some commercial barleywines lately that are really good. I'm thinking of getting a lightly hopped ale kit, add extra malt and maybe a bit of fruit like peaches, even a little spice like cinnamon and clove. I'd add sugar to make a 12% brew and change to a wyeast or champagne yeast that will ferment to the higher alchohol levels. I'd add oak cubes and age it in the carboy for a year or so....

What do you think? Could it be done and come out well? Any suggestions?

You might be better off buying an extract barleywine kit and modify that. If you look around, you might even be able to find a clone kit of something you liked.

Regardless of what you decide, making a large starter or pitching multiple packets of dry yeast is an absolute must.

Plenty of extract clone recipes out there. I'm fermenting a rough bigfoot clone right now that made it up to 10.5%, pitching on top of an existing yeast cake.

Back