high gravity porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcolson

Reaction score
I am planning to make a porter with 1.099 - 1.105 OG and dont know where to begin... i am currently doing extract and mini-mash anyone know a good recipe i could acomplish this with? and also what type of yeast? thank you!

I've never seen a porter recipe at that OG, even Robust Porters top out at 1.060. Why not just double-up a standard recipe? Or make a half batch. That would be about right. You'd have to start with something like an American ale yeast and add a high gravity yeast to finish it. Plan on 12-18 months.

Porter's a good style for this, as it can handle the body and maltiness of a huge brew, but I would probably still use some corn sugar (maybe a pound) to make the wort more fermentable. Ramp up the base malt and hops on a good robust porter recipe, and sub in sugar for some of the extract. You'll still have plenty of body in a beer that big. As for the fermentation, David_42 speaks from a lot more experience than I do, so I'd go with what he said.

Well, that's a lot of alcohol!

I'd still like to see a baltic porter pushed to that limit. I have one at home that is brewed by a local brewery that's around 11% and it is awesome.

Back