Insulating plastic tote

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I want something to keep kegs cold over a weekend without having to constantly add ice. It shouldn't be too warm outside but it's been unseasonably warm lately so who knows.

I'd like to add some insulation. Is it better to have it on the outside or inside?

Like this: insulation -> plastic tote -> ice -> keg
OR this: plastic tote -> insulation -> plastic bag -> ice -> keg

Also, what's a better insulator - reflectix or the foam board insulation? If I put the insulation on the outside, I'd go with reflectix since it's easier to wrap (as long as it's a decent insulator).

I may end up going with a garbage can setup but even with that, I'm curious about the insulation.

I'm looking at insulating a 45 gal trash can for the same purposes. any insight regarding reflectix vs. foam board?

This would work better:

Tote-> insulation->tote->ice/keg

This would essentially create a double walled cooler.

I'm looking at insulating a 45 gal trash can for the same purposes. any insight regarding reflectix vs. foam board?

Reflecix is not totally worthless, just nearly totally worthless. Slightly better than nothing.

Foam Board is the way to go.

:rockin:

Foam board has a much higher R value than the reflective stuff, making it a better insulator. You could always do reflective - cooler - insulation - ice - keg. The reflective is good for the outside because it reflects (keyword :)) more radiation than something that is more opaque, so less is absorbed by the tote.

If you have the room for the foam board and your can is square/rectangular instead of round, I'd go with the foam board. That's what I ended up using and it kept things cold for a long weekend.

Hi

If you are really trying to keep the beer cold for several days... ice is going to be a pain. If this is more than just a one time thing, you might consider adapting a 12V powered refrigerator / cooler.

Bob

Back