What Beer to buy to celebrate a new baby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew_potter

Reaction score
So my sister and her husband just had their first baby boy today! I am going to Boston to visit next week and want to buy a special beer for my BIL to celebrate. We have brewed together and are both beer nuts.
The problem is I have no idea what is available in Boston right now or where to buy it if I knew what to buy.
He likes IPAs and DIPAs. Anything hoppy is great by him.
Any suggestions of where to go or what to buy?
Thanks!

http://www.downtownwineandspirits.com/

Downtown wine and spirits in Davis Square has a great craft and import beer selection. (hot tip, one of the guys who works there told me that they cellar some barleywine each year and they will let you know what they have available if you know to ask)

http://www.downtownwineandspirits.com/

Downtown wine and spirits in Davis Square has a great craft and import beer selection. (hot tip, one of the guys who works there told me that they cellar some barleywine each year and they will let you know what they have available if you know to ask)

Yep - if you're in Boston proper then go here. If you happen to be to the north of the city check out Redstone Liquors in Stoneham - great guys there.

I like Audacity of Hops (Belgian IPA) by Cambridge Brewing Co. Pretty Things also makes a great saison called Jack D'Or - I generally don't care for the style, but I like this one (I'm an IPA guy too.) Both are local, small breweries and both beers are pretty regularly available.

Wormtown also makes a decent AIPA called "Be Hoppy"

Enjoy the trip!

I bought a few bottles of Sam Adams Utopias 2011. One to drink when he came home, one to save for when he turns 21 and one to drink whenever we feel like it.

A friend bought some bottles of Pretty Things Baby Tree Quad for us, some of which was drank and some which will be aged.

This might be especially fitting if the parents are Jewish but Schmaltz Brewing's Jewbilation is a great beer to age.

It's their brewery's anniversary beer and I think they're up to year 14 now and they put in 14 different malts and 14 different hops. It's a complex beer... Lets just put it that way.

When My son was born I celebrated with a Chimay Blue that I had laid down for a year.

Chimay Blue is a fantastic beer for celebration. I've never been able to let one sit long enough to age, though.

If he's into DIPAs you should really try to see if you can get a couple bottles of Pliny. I know there's a site that will ship them (for a lot of money) but I don't recall what it is at the moment.

Chimay Blue is a fantastic beer for celebration. I've never been able to let one sit long enough to age, though.

If he's into DIPAs you should really try to see if you can get a couple bottles of Pliny. I know there's a site that will ship them (for a lot of money) but I don't recall what it is at the moment.

For each of my boys I made a small batch of mead. Enough to bury 6 bottles for each child 3 feet deep behind my storage shed in makeshift vaults.

Made sure to seal the crowns well to avoid finding them rusted in another 18+ years. They've been buried now for 5 years (1st batch) and 3 years (2nd batch).

2nd Hogwash's nomination of Sierra Nevada's "Bigfoot". It even has the year on the cap. One or two six packs in the cellar should cover having a beer to celebrate life's major moments. Not to mention its dam good now.

Boston beer is no longer just Sam and Harpoon. Here is just a taste of what I would celebrate with.

Pretty Things' Baby Tree, Belgian Style Quad
prettythings.jpg

Mystics' Descendant Dark Ale, any of the different barrel aged versions
mystics.jpg

Backlashes' Declaration, Belgain IPA
backlash.jpg

Since everyone is going to offer you their favorites and you will only end up with a list of 100 or so, why not try something more connected to the baby?

Whats the weight?

If the baby weighted 7 pounds 2 ozs, maybe get a 7.2% beer, or one with 72 IBUs. You could head over to any local brewery (Sams, Harpoon, Wachusett, etc) and see if you can get a beer bottled the day they were born...that might be stretching it but you get the point.

I did an 8.3%, 83 IBU summit IPA for my baby boy (8 pounds 3 ounces).

To stick with everyone else...I suggest Firestone Walkers Double Jack or even a 6er of Union Jack. If you can find Jack's Abbey Hoponious Union IPL, go for it...sort of the opposite of a steam beer thats real hoppy. The brewery is in Framingham if that helps

Latest posts

Back