Who else has received their delivery from Great Lakes? (pix)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
just received mine this morning. sent out on wednesday, here on friday. the centennial and sterling are especially healthy, over a foot high (including roots). i put in a last-minute request to swap out the spalt select for a cascade which they did for me. this is a nice bonus, considering how many orders they must be filling right now. thank you GLH!

:ban:

bonus: packing material appears to be rice hulls. i'm not an AG brewer, but next time i add wheat or oatmeal to my partial mash i'll have some hulls to throw in there :)

20120323_131321.jpg

20120323_131357.jpg

20120323_132741.jpg

How much?
if you're asking about price:

Nugget - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$8.78

Sterling - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$9.45

Santiam - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$9.45

Spalter Select REPLACE WITH: Cascade - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$9.45 (Cascade is actually cheaper, but i didn't ask for refund of the difference...)

Centennial - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$8.78

Subtotal: $45.91
Tax: $0.00
Shipping & Handling: $10.99
Grand Total: $56.90

i am such a ditz.

count my order, as detailed in my previous post (with prices).

then count the crowns in the pic above.

GLH sent me a free crown!!! :ban:

it even had plant marker that said "Lucky dog! Free!", but it still didn't register until my last reply... d'oh.

this is slightly problematic as I only planned on having 5 plants... but this is a good problem to have :rockin:

That's funny. I would have liked to have the same problem. Got my 8 crowns 2 weeks ago and one of the cascades has 2 bones over 2'. :rockin

Did they tell you what variety the free crown was?

I picked up a Centennial and a Sterling crown from them and planted them about 3 weeks ago. They are almost 4 feet tall already since we decided to skip spring and go straight to summer this year!

My Lucky Dog was Brewers Gold and had a tag with it...GLH is the best! I got mine in the fall and my largest bines are about 2' but most are 6-8" right now....those presale crowns are massive!

I stopped there Thursday night and he gave me an hour tour of the place. I bought three of the huge crowns that are too big for shipping and he proceeded to take me out to pick a free plant. I spent another 15 minutes with him explaining all the choices. I was very pleased!

Did they tell you what variety the free crown was?
yup, the "lucky dog" was a newport. so i now have 3 high-alpha/bittering hops, 3 aroma/flavor hops, and one in-between (i ordered summit rhizomes from Willamette Valley Hops) . nice mix, IMHO. now to see which of the pack do best in the maryland summer...

My buddy hoppy like rabbit got his he's in afganastain but had them shipped to his parents says they are doing great

if you're asking about price:

Nugget - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$8.78

Sterling - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$9.45

Santiam - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$9.45

Spalter Select REPLACE WITH: Cascade - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$9.45 (Cascade is actually cheaper, but i didn't ask for refund of the difference...)

Centennial - SPRING PRE-ORDER - COMPLETE CROWN
$8.78

Subtotal: $45.91
Tax: $0.00
Shipping & Handling: $10.99
Grand Total: $56.90

Has anyone had crowns vs rhizomes for over a year? I bought 4 rhizomes for $23 shipped, which would have been $50 as crowns. Is the difference worth it?

got my six plants this week, one of the cascades had a massive root ball, worth at least several rhizomes alone. They are now planted and coping with the change.

Although it is reputed as a bittering hop, I used my Newports for aroma and flavoring last year and was thrilled with the results. Your lucky dog was, if I understand correctly, bred by Rogue Brewing Co. to resist mildew and disease. I have not had much luck researching it beyond that, except to read that some brewers find the flavor Newport imparts to be akin to cannabis (not sure I agree).

Just posted this in another thread. This is the response I got in case anyone else was wondering from Lynn at GLH.
<[email protected]> wrote:

Steve,
Treat them as 2nd year plants- but wait to do any trimming until you
get all the primaries running up the twine a good 6 to 8 feet. Leaving
the smaller bines a little longer can help "push" the primaries up by
supplying more energy to the forming root system. (You just want to
keep the base of the plants cleaned up so you don't create spidermite
havens.) The hybrids will probably push more than 3 or 4 primaries -
limit them to about 6-8 bines this season. If you train more than 3-4
on a string they tend to get so thick that bugs and mildews can become
an issue. I run two strings per hop plant the first year.
Cheers!

Lynn is supper helpful. I've sent probably 6 emails to him with a quick informative response every time.

Still waiting on mine. you guys are getting some awesome stuff. Did they email you guys to let you know when they were shipped or did you just come home to a nice present?

jester5120 said:
Still waiting on mine. you guys are getting some awesome stuff. Did they email you guys to let you know when they were shipped or did you just come home to a nice present?

He told me to pick a date. On that day 2 1/2 weeks ago I got a email shipping notice.

this thread is awesome... He told me my hops should ship on Monday. I got my trellis built today and getting 1 yard of supersoil tomorrow :)

I got mine in the mail yesterday. I got the spring six crown special and they threw in a free Newport crown. I built my beds and got them in the ground today but I need to build a trellis of some sort-not sure what I am going to use, though.

I got done too late to take pictures...

they sent me an e-mail telling me that the crowns had shipped. they had previously told me they would ship on monday 3/26, but i later got a surprise e-mail on on wednesday 3/21 telling me they managed to ship them earlier. they'll be going in the ground tomorrow (sunday).

Has anyone had crowns vs rhizomes for over a year? I bought 4 rhizomes for $23 shipped, which would have been $50 as crowns. Is the difference worth it?
guess it would depend how you define the difference as being worth it... how much is having a second-year harvest in the first year worth to you?

also, some people have said that they got a solid harvest in year one, so maybe your first-years' output won't be that much less after all (although the general rule appears to be that the plants produce less the first year).

Bines will flower above 5'. I've seen gardens with long horizontal bines, they just need to be trained by hand an bit more.

Its 8' from the ground to the trellis plus the additional feet from the stake. Each guy line is about 10'. If its not enough so be lol

Yeah I've read that as well. I guess in my mind I am giving each plant 20+ feet of line to climb. I'm just giving it the old college try if it works out great.. if not, guess it wasnt meant to be :)

Finally got around to getting a recent picture of one of my crowns that I bought from GLH this year. This is a Centennial that's been in the ground for 3 weeks. It's been crazy weather here in Chicago this spring, but still, the one on the left is over 4 feet tall already!

ForumRunner_20120325_173525.jpg

Mine shipped today. I'm getting the beds ready for the next few days hoping they get here by wednesday or thursday

Latest posts

Back