Job chat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
homebrewer_99 said:
I'm certain it would be a drastic pay cut even with all the freebies...:D

Nah, I don't make that much to begin with....

When I moved down here I transfered from Office Depot. In Austin I made $8.50 as a stocker and down here I made $7. Man did that $1.50 cut suck...

I'm with Bird, if you want to set up a satilite office let me know:D

I volunteer every time I'm in the store (I love to spend my lunch hour there). I've noticed you've been pretty busy lately and I have helped a few customers whenever I can. Of course you just moved the store around a bit, so now I have to learn where everything is again. :D

Good luck with the new hires.

greenhornet said:
Office Depot, Austin = $8.50 as a stocker and down here I made $7. Man did that $1.50 cut suck...

Man, I feel sorry for you....no, really!! :( That sucks!!! I make several times over that much (per hour).

If we ever meet I promise the first 2 rounds will be on me!!! :mug: :mug: ;)

the difference between the minimum wage and the average living wage is huge isn't it? I barely make it paycheck to paycheck and could not imagine making close to those numbers... something is not right with our society.

krispy d said:
the difference between the minimum wage and the average living wage is huge isn't it? I barely make it paycheck to paycheck and could not imagine making close to those numbers... something is not right with our society.
Not to sound belittling or anything (that is NOT my intent), but would it have anything to do with your education level and drive or just your location and/or profession??

I mean, I had a day job (which I kept) and played in a band. Both brought in $$$. One was quick $$, the other came with a retirement plan...which one do you think I chose?

HINT: I retire in 2 years at age 55. :rockin:

homebrewer_99 said:
Man, I feel sorry for you....no, really!! :( That sucks!!! I make several times over that much (per hour).

If we ever meet I promise the first 2 rounds will be on me!!! :mug: :mug:

Cool! :drunk:

Well I have a new job now and since my manager went to jail (ahh check fraud, what a beautiful thing...) I'm now the new manager of a storage place and make a reasonable $9 an hour......ok maybe not reasonable but it's the most I've ever made...

krispy d said:

Not really. It's the market that decides the value for the skills needed for the job. Then it's the number of people available with the skills for those jobs that determine the wage.

Education, skill, experience, and a good work ethic are key to steady wage increases, and if the employer does not recognize that you keep increasing in those catagories, then other employers will and it's time to move on.

There's lots of opportunities out there for very good pay, but you have to be prepared for them.

EdWort said:
Education, skill, experience, and a good work ethic are key to steady wage increases, and if the employer does not recognize that you keep increasing in those catagories, then other employers will and it's time to move on.

Um, in my position right now I am going to have to disagree. After I finished my bachelors degree, I could have landed a biotech job and made $35-50k/yr with the few years experience I had. I am getting my PhD tomorrow, and I will be way over-qualified for those kinds of jobs, but the only jobs open to me are post-doctoral fellowships paying ~$30k/yr. All research positions for PhDs require years of experience in the private sector, which I don't have....talk about one step forward, three steps back :drunk:

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Um, in my position right now I am going to have to disagree. After I finished my bachelors degree, I could have landed a biotech job and made $35-50k/yr with the few years experience I had. I am getting my PhD tomorrow, and I will be way over-qualified for those kinds of jobs, but the only jobs open to me are post-doctoral fellowships paying ~$30k/yr. All research positions for PhDs require years of experience in the private sector, which I don't have....talk about one step forward, three steps back :drunk:

What are you getting your PhD in?

Not really. It's supply and demand that makes wages. Hot jobs are those that are needed and the workers who can do them are in short supply.

It all depends on what you want to do too. I could go get a job at a brewery and take a massive pay cut, but I'll stick with technology sales and management where pay is 6+ figures and does not require a PhD or an MBA, but specific technology and personal communication skills.

If I were you, I would go and get the biotech job and not mention your PhD. The experience you get plus your PhD will pay off down the road.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I have to agree with Ed...don't even mention the PHD...which stands for "Piled Higher and Deeper" if I remember correctly...:drunk: :D

I'd just mention a few classes that would be right down the employers line.

You're right about having the experience though. Employers also want people they don't have to pay to train.

Please don't hijack this thread. Please start another thread.

Thanks for understanding.

Forrest

I have to agree with all of you. I currently only have an associate degree (did not want to pay mony for bull **** classes). I have always had great jobs that pay very well. Most of what I have found in experience and how you present yourself. Of course you have to be in the right industry to find the money!!

Back