Cyser and apple juice question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsianMead

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to make something like cyser.
I'm thinking about blend Honey, water, apple juice, and sliced apple together.
Is that can call "cyser" in your oppinion?

Another question:
I've got 1 litre of apple juice from super market, it's "Florida's Natural" 100% apple juice.
Can I trust that is a pure apple juice or I should to squeeze apple juice by my own hand?

I think you're in the right ballpark, but I'd not bother with the apple slices...hard fruits like apples are more difficult to extract flavor from than things like strawberries, rasberries, etc. I'd just use that space in the carboy to add extra juice.

In terms of the "Florida's Natural," it's hard to say...you're always better off with fresh pressed juice, but sometimes it's just not possible to do enough volume on your own. If the juice is preservative free, you will probably be OK. From personal experience, though, you can ferment juice that has *some* preservatives. I once made a muscadine pyment with grape juice that had sulfur dioxide, citric acid, and sorbic acid as preservatives and it came out great. What I did though, was start the rest of the mead (the honey and water), and once the fermentation really got going after 24 hrs or so, I added the juice. I think this gave a really healthy yeast population a chance to overcome any difficulties it may have had with the small concentration of preservatives. This would obviously be more difficult to do the larger the percentage of juice will be in your final brew.

Cyser is apple juice and honey, so yes, you're making cyser.

Unless you're fermenting the honey and apple separately, why add water? That leaves less space for juice, so wouldn't you expect less flavor? I would skip the water and just mix the honey with the cider.

I agree with biochemedic that the apple slices aren't necessary and wouldn't do much other than complicate your cyser.

I'd use apple juice & honey, really no need to dilute your juice with water. I think the sliced apples will be more trouble than they're worth, but it's your cyser, you make it the way you want.
Regards, GF.

I like to get the "unfiltered" juices, try a healthfood store if there is one near you. Some brands even come in 1 gal glass jugs that are great fermenters.

SpamDog

Thanks for all replied.
I think I will postpone this cyser until I have the fruit press to make apple juice.
So I decided raspberry melomel will be my next batch.

Back