Store brand beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Harris Teeter (a big southeastern grocery chain), is planning on selling it's own beer called barrel trolley. They're looking to scrape some profits away from actual craft brewers. I don't like the idea, but will probably try it just to see whether its good or not.

I hate this idea almost as much as BMC's 'beers'. What's next? Sam's choice ales? Kroger Hefes?

I'd want to know who brewed it before I plunked down cash for a sixer, or at least taste it in the store.

It's a coin toss as it could be brewed by a craft brewer or by BMC.

This seems to be a recent trend. Walgreen's recently released plans to sell their own beer, called "1901". As The Onion put it, "1901 was a good year for really sh***y beer".

Trader Joe's and, more recently, Whole Foods have contracted the production of their own brews through small breweries. The TJ's are not bad and cheap at least. I haven't tried any of the others yet, but nothing will stop me from buying Foothills or Bell's when I want them.

Harris Teeter (a big southeastern grocery chain), is planning on selling it's own beer called barrel trolley. They're looking to scrape some profits away from actual craft brewers. I don't like the idea, but will probably try it just to see whether its good or not.

I hate this idea almost as much as BMC's 'beers'. What's next? Sam's choice ales? Kroger Hefes?

Kroger has its own beer. beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/892/11465

What's wrong with the idea? They obviously worked out a deal with the brewery, the "craft" brewer wants to do this.

What's wrong with the idea? They obviously worked out a deal with the brewery, the "craft" brewer wants to do this.

Yeah, Damn those guys for having a distribution chain! If it is good beer, drink it. If it isn't, don't. We don't have any of those stores around here, but if Hannafords put out their own beer, I'd be all over it, assuming it was as good as the stuff I drink now. But hey, I'm not a label guy, I'm a good beer guy.:mug:

I've never heard any of these beers being anything more than a natural light/keystone knock off.

I think Walgreens sells for like $3 per six pack, which goes to show how much of the cost of BMC is built into marketing.

Trader Joe's has their own beer, so does costco- most of it brewed by Gordon Biersh and a couple other craft brewers (including Unibroue.)

vintage-bottle.jpg

Who cares? If the beer is good, and it's more than just a BMC light lager, then I'm all for MORE BEER IN THE MARKETPLACE.

Hell Trader Joe's Vienna Lager is one of the best representations of that style I have seen. Plus GB brews all their beers following the Reinheitsgebot, so it's not like these folks are dumping formaldehyde in their fermenters.

To me it's a good thing. It means craft beer is being taken seriously, and folks are seeing a market for it, which means more beer for everyone.

For those my age or older, remember the generic white label products. Yes there was a generic beer. Tried one once, just once and did not finish it. I doubt these companies will go that low. Hey you never know, maybe these smaller contract breweries will make a drinkable brew and allow the profits from these contract brews to be used for them to make better branded brews.

Hey, if we can brew our own, why not them!!!

I haven't seen kroger's brands yet, BUT they are now offering mixed sixers of a mixture of craft and macro beer. For about 8 bucks and a deposit, I've picked up Bell's, Great lakes, and Dogfish Head there.

Edit According to the beer advocate link you posted that Kroger beer is no longer being produced.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
I've never heard any of these beers being anything more than a natural light/keystone knock off.

I think Walgreens sells for like $3 per six pack, which goes to show how much of the cost of BMC is built into marketing.

I've had that beer and it taste pretty sh****ty but its worth 3 dollars

I fully agree with Revvy- Trader's Vienna Lager is the best example of the style I've had. And you can't beat less than $7 per sixer

i love some of the trader joes beers. the mission street pale ale is one i get regularly when i'm at TJ. here is an article from the tribune

Have you ever scratched your head in the Trader Joe's beer aisle and wondered, "What are all those weird beers I never see anywhere else? Could they be any good?"

I have. So I tried them. All of them. Or as many as I could find. The notoriously secretive company declined to provide a list of their brews, nor was it helpful about the origin of those beers. However, in the beer community, anything under the "Josephsbrau Brewing Co." label is believed to be made by Gordon Biersch brewing, in San Jose, Calif. Mission St. beers are believed to be made by Firestone Walker in Paso Robles, Calif.

I've had that beer and it taste pretty sh****ty but its worth 3 dollars

You get what you pay for!

The thing I don't like about it is it takes more shelf space away from the little guy. I don't think I'd have as much of a problem with it if they'd take some space from budweiser, which virtually has their own aisle in every store you go into.

I've had the costco stuff, and I was surprised. It wasn't bad at all. A coworker brought a sampler of it in for me to try. It included a Belgian Wit, IPA, and an APA. There might have been another, but I drawing a blank right now. Overall they were pretty good, the wit was probably my least favorite, but the IPA, and APA were very drinkable. I'd drink them over most light lagers anytime.

I fully believe that this is a knee-jerk reaction to Piggly Wiggly selling their own beers, brewed under contract by Thomas Creek.

Both P-W beers are very decent, 8/10's I'd say. I really liked their red ale (or whatever they call it). The pilsner needs some reworking on the malt profile. Not a bad product overall.

M_C

jdlev said:
You get what you pay for!

The thing I don't like about it is it takes more shelf space away from the little guy. I don't think I'd have as much of a problem with it if they'd take some space from budweiser, which virtually has their own aisle in every store you go into.

Yeah but this beer is sold at walgreens I don't go to the drug store for a good craft beer I go there for crab shampoo and crappy 3 dollar sixers

onthekeg said:
Note to self:
Pick up some condoms there next time.:)

I don't need condoms I'm married Haha I don't know how this keep happening also kroger has a new beer here I think its called republic or something I wonder if that's the a store brand

I believe Trader Joe's is brewed by Firewalker

It might be regional, but beer pal and a couple other sources cite GB.

Trader Joes Vienna Style Lager

Beer Profile Beer Stats
Brewed by: Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant Group, Inc.
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Style: Vienna / Amber Lager
Abv: 5.7%

But if firewalker makes one I'd like to try it, it's one of my favorite styles these days.

I don't mind buying it if it's good. I have found a few that I like from TJ's and this past weekend I tried some from Costco's Kirkland brand. I was pretty skeptical about it but my friend brought some over and I gave the IPA a try...not bad at all. I can't remember off the top of my head the brewer but I'll probably pick some up next time I'm there and try the other varieties.

I had no idea the costco and trader joe's versions were more than crappy american pilsner.

I am not so desperate to have a beer to drink crappy $3 six packs anymore. There was a time in college though...

Walgreen's beer is already out here in KY, $2.99 a sixer. Big Flats 1901 I think? It's not great, but no worse than Coors or Budweiser. I'm going to pour it over a tea ball full of Citra shortly. I'll report back with tasting notes.

This seems to be a recent trend. Walgreen's recently released plans to sell their own beer, called "1901". As The Onion put it, "1901 was a good year for really sh***y beer".

Trader Joe's and, more recently, Whole Foods have contracted the production of their own brews through small breweries. The TJ's are not bad and cheap at least. I haven't tried any of the others yet, but nothing will stop me from buying Foothills or Bell's when I want them.

I'm drinking the Kroger Port Republic Lager Beer right now.

And Safeway has a line of craft-style brews. Those weren't half bad.

The label on the Mission St says the brand is something like Steinhauser, and the address is in Paso Robles, Ca, and Firestone Walker is the only decent sized brewery in Paso Robles, they also make the jumping cow and fat weasel, but the jumping cow was made by someone else when it first came out. Trader Joes is amazing, and sells Unibroue for two dollars less than anywhere else, and the Gordon Biersch made stuff is stellar for the price. Same goes for stone standards, and mendecino brewing, 5.99usd a six pack for stone ipa/pale, and the hawk eye/various other birds. Shame they don't stock the Bock, but they also have the Anderson Valley standards, and now Chimay and Duvel, but I can't remember the price. A few months ago when they first brought in the Duvel, it was 8.99 a 4pk for the small bottles. But, +1 for the "Josephsbrau", the Dunkel is one of my favorites, the Vienna is very good as well. With my whole familie, I cannot spend less than 200usd in Trader Joes.

Seems to be quite the trend I guess. Sendik's, which is a grocery chain that as far as I know is limited to SE Wisconsin, has their own branded beer now. Noticed it the other day when I was "walking past" the beer aisle, but didn't think to look closely. I'll check the next time I'm there to see who's actually brewing it.

The case of Kirkland beers at Costco is a great way to get bottles for homebrew. It's only a little more expensive than buying empties, the labels come off extremely easily, and the beers are pretty good for the cost. It's great for having a bunch of people over and not wanting to cut too deep into your pipeline of homebrew.

i buy big flats from walgreens on occassion. it is $3.49 here. i tried the pilsner at trader joe's, also $3.49. that one was terrible. big flats is drinkable for sure.

at $7 for a 12-pack, hudy 14k is the best-tasting cheap beer i've found.

I've tried several varieties from Trader Joe's, and the Costco variety pack.

The Costco beers got mixed reviews. I like the Amber ale, but didn't care much for the Pale ale or IPA.

The TJ Hefeweizen is WAAAAY too sweet, but the Vienna Lager is good, and the Dunkleweizen is very nice.

For the prices, they are perfectly acceptable beers. It's really just a branding thing, as the TJ's Beer is made by Gordon Biersch. And as someone already pointed out, it's a great way to collect good bottles. ;)

I've tried several varieties from Trader Joe's, and the Costco variety pack.

The Costco beers got mixed reviews. I like the Amber ale, but didn't care much for the Pale ale or IPA.

The TJ Hefeweizen is WAAAAY too sweet, but the Vienna Lager is good, and the Dunkleweizen is very nice.

For the prices, they are perfectly acceptable beers. It's really just a branding thing, as the TJ's Beer is made by Gordon Biersch. And as someone already pointed out, it's a great way to collect good bottles. ;)

I do wonder about age on those Costco beers. When it comes to the Pale and IPA I've had some better than others. Who knows how long those cases sit on the shelf before you buy them.

The Fresh and Easy store exclusive beers have been pathetic in my experience, but I still commend them on their import, stone and sierra nevada prices.

I do wonder about age on those Costco beers. When it comes to the Pale and IPA I've had some better than others. Who knows how long those cases sit on the shelf before you buy them.

I have picked up a case of the Costco beer and the bottled on date was on the bottles. I picked mine up about 2 months after bottling and liked them all except the Belgian White which lacked flavor. The bottles are tough as nails too, I had one fall off the counter onto my tile floor and it just bounced.

Ha. I recently re-subscribed to costco and found the mixed case of beers there. I was not expecting anything good, but it beat their other selection. The beers surprised me in that they all seem to be very generic examples of their style. Nothing makes them shine, but if you think you'd like a middle of the road amber, APA, IPA or wit, these beers will do the trick. I'm not a hop head, so I was not disappointed with the IPA, others might be. I'll be picking up a case of this stuff from time to time.

I've not seen or even looked for walgreens beer.:eek:

My costco has cases of Paulaner wheat for $25 a case... = my house always has Paulaner wheat. besides this, it has a local IPA, Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams... the rest is unacceptable. The Kirkland beers are pretty decent, but they are also not gourmet beer.. what can one expect for that amazing price for a case?

Ha. I recently re-subscribed to costco and found the mixed case of beers there. I was not expecting anything good, but it beat their other selection. The beers surprised me in that they all seem to be very generic examples of their style. Nothing makes them shine, but if you think you'd like a middle of the road amber, APA, IPA or wit, these beers will do the trick. I'm not a hop head, so I was not disappointed with the IPA, others might be. I'll be picking up a case of this stuff from time to time.

I've not seen or even looked for walgreens beer.:eek:

They're awesome for stocking up for a party, but I won't buy them just to have at home. Costco sometimes has deals on the Sam Adams seasonal packs also, at least mine does.

Back