Is my corney saveable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
When i first got my keg setup I had not heard of this site. Not knowing what things did I left onestep in the keg for 2 month after running it through my system to "clean everything". After dumping a batch of beer cause of terrible metalic flavor, i purchaced another keg and all is good with that one. My question is can i save my original? wondering if repassification will "fix" the problem. and if so how does one repassify a corny keg?

where did you get the kegs from?

I can't see One Step causing the problem, but i've never use it before.

OneStep doesn't impart any flavors to the beer so that isn't it.

I did a quick search and here's some other poster quoting from Palmer's How To Brew. Check it out.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/metallic-flavor-50829/

"Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours"

- Don't use a ceramic coated steel pot
- Used spring water from the store (same brand as always...had good results)
- Use a stainless kettle that is really new

Well brew pots are still the same and have bottled great beer. New keg is on same system with the same gas as the bad one and that beer is great. Btw tried an experiment and carbed str8 tap water and that whas extremely metalic. Leaving the conclusion that the problem is the keg

I'm not saying the keg might not be the issue but OneStep doesn't cause any metallic off-flavors. Did you read the part about the hydrolysis from malts? Like MustangJ said: where did you get the kegs? Different vendors?

Yeah the first is the one that came with my fridge conversion kit from one of the lhbs's near my house. got that about 3 years ago. of the 4 batches i put on it none were very good and the last had to get dumped. so i went back to bottling. decided i wanted to keg again so i got a new keg from a different lhbs and no bad flavors here( again the only thing different with the process is the keg)

Yeah the first is the one that came with my fridge conversion kit from one of the lhbs's near my house. got that about 3 years ago. of the 4 batches i put on it none were very good and the last had to get dumped. so i went back to bottling. decided i wanted to keg again so i got a new keg from a different lhbs and no bad flavors here( again the only thing different with the process is the keg)

There could be a pit on the inside of the keg I suppose. One thing you could try is pouring boiled water in it and letting it sit for awhile. Another thing is to take the keg apart and clean everything again. Have you checked the diptube? There could be something in there that's affecting the beer's flavor.

Nothing i could see in there. just got a new diptube brush so mabye ill clean it again and try the boiling water. then carb some h20 again. not gonna waste more beer on it.

Back