All Fresh Cascade Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkstore

Reaction score
This is my first real attempt to use some of my own grown hops. I have an idea for a recipe using all of my own cascade, but would it make sense to use it in the boil, or would it make sense to use another, and save the Cascades for Dry hopping. Or 3rd option I guess, do both.

If you have enough I'd use them for every addtion. Keep in mind that you'll need six times the amount per addition if you're using wet vs. dried hops. If you don't have that much they're better used near the end of the boil or for dry hopping.

I've got 4-5 oz dry to work with so I think I have enough for different stages.

Gotta say the first year Cacsade kicked my first year Williamette's ass. I think I had 8 hops on my Williamette. Not 8 oz, 8 hops....

I thought home grown hops also needed to be adjusted for possibly lower alpha. Something stuck in my head like 1.2 to 1.5 time more homegrown compared to tested bought stuff. Someone please clear this up, as I am in the middle of picking, and would like to start a home grown brew as well.

I am planning on doing a MO/Cascade SMaSH this weekend, I have enough homegrown cascade for one addition. From all the reading up I have done, It seems that homegrown would go best at the end of the boil for flavor and aroma.

My question is...when using whole cones - do you need to break them up or can I dump the cone as a whole into the boil? I will most likely use them wet as they are still on the bines.

Back