Recommenation: Wort Aeration (drill)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc767

Reaction score
Picked up a cordless drill and a Carboy Cleaner (love it!), and was hoping someone may be able to recommend a specific attachment that will allow me to use my drill to aerate (versus shaking the carboy for 10 minutes).

Any input would be great, thanks!

Google "Wine Degasser". I don't use one, so I don't want to link to a particular one.

Personally, I'm still shaking my carboy. But one of those looks tempting.

I put a small section of hard tubing at the end of my siphon tube with some holes drilled in it. This sucks in air as the wort exits the tubing. I also make sure the wort drops the entire height of the carboy. Builds up a nice head and seems to do an excellent job of aerating.

There are mixing tools for drills, like for mixing concrete and such. I don't know of any that would fit in a carboy though. You'd have to do it in your BK.

I use a wine degasser. I used to use the hose with the holes...... but the holes would get clogged and be hard to clean. Love the wine degasser. Works great. Check out my gallery to see the one I use.

Must be hard to shake a 5 gallon carboy enough to make it frothy!

I use the Austin Homebrew model (although I got it from anotehr place).

Must be hard to shake a 5 gallon carboy enough to make it frothy!

I use the Austin Homebrew model (although I got it from anotehr place).

Nope, not really. There's really no need to pick it up, I just kneel on the floor and push it vigorously back and forth (holding the stopper on, with the carboy resting on the edge of it's base). It gets quite frothy.

I have the mix-stir and one other wine-degasser / mixer. I have tried using it for aeration and I find that shaking the carboy works much better.

I have mixed the heck out of my beer using these tools and they always quit fermenting before reaching terminal gravity. Now I shake or just use o2.

I just cool my wort in my bottling bucket then use the spigot to drain the wort into my primary fermenter. I never have any problems with aeration.

Back