Ingredients/No Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihole

Reaction score
OK! My buddy and I are in South Korea, flying by the seat our pants! Our first batch gets bottled tonight. Tomorrow we brew. BUT! We don't have a recipe. What we do have is: 3 pounds dry extract, 1 pound caramalt, 1 oz cluster, 1 oz amarillo, 1 oz Pride of Ringwood, safale s-04. Planning to simply do rolling pin in a zip lock on the caramalt, not sure what amount of water to boil...

Suggestions?

Concerns?

Can you tell we're NEW?

Well 3 pounds of extract isn't enough for 5 gallons, so I assume you're making a 3 gallon batch? We can come up with a recipe, no problem!

I assume you can boil 3.5 gallons in a pot?

You've got a mix of English and American ingredients there, so you really won't be "to style" for an American pale ale, or an English pale ale, but you could make a good beer like this:

3 lbs Light Dry Extract
8.0 oz Caramalt
0.50 oz Cluster (60 min) Hops 22.6 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
S04 yeast

Steep 1/2 pound of caramalt in 3 gallons of 150-160 degree water for 20 minutes. Discard the grains, and bring the liquid to a boil. Take off of the heat and add the extract. Stir well, place back on heat and add 1/2 ounce cluster hops. Set your timer for 60 minutes. When there is 15 minutes left, add 1/4 ounce of amarillo. When there is 5 minutes left, add another 1/4 ounce amarillo. Chill to 70 degrees, and pitch yeast. Ferment at 65-68 degrees.

That should give you an OG of 1.045 or so.

Well 3 pounds of extract isn't enough for 5 gallons, so I assume you're making a 3 gallon batch? We can come up with a recipe, no problem!

I assume you can boil 3.5 gallons in a pot?

You've got a mix of English and American ingredients there, so you really won't be "to style" for an American pale ale, or an English pale ale, but you could make a good beer like this:

3 lbs Light Dry Extract
8.0 oz Caramalt
0.50 oz Cluster (60 min) Hops 22.6 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
S04 yeast

Steep 1/2 pound of caramalt in 3 gallons of 150-160 degree water for 20 minutes. Discard the grains, and bring the liquid to a boil. Take off of the heat and add the extract. Stir well, place back on heat and add 1/2 ounce cluster hops. Set your timer for 60 minutes. When there is 15 minutes left, add 1/4 ounce of amarillo. When there is 5 minutes left, add another 1/4 ounce amarillo. Chill to 70 degrees, and pitch yeast. Ferment at 65-68 degrees.

That should give you an OG of 1.045 or so.

If you don't have any ideas, just say so. ;)

WELL!! That's just AWESOME!! and I don't even half to use all my hops! Thank you so much! This site has become my new addiction!

Side question: What would a good substitute for a steeping bag? Old t-shirt?

WELL!! That's just AWESOME!! and I don't even half to use all my hops! Thank you so much! This site has become my new addiction!

Side question: What would a good substitute for a steeping bag? Old t-shirt?
a paint strainer bag from a hardware store. or cheesecloth :mug:

Back