STC-1000 from Amazon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its the same price after $6.95 shipping....

Why don't you guys get it on ebay, I just bought one for $21.59 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220930466567&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there was a cat that had the stc-1000 for 19.95 shipped out of China. I got mine in about 10 days so I ordered a second one, except the price went up to 21.95 by then ... perhaps the US currency value eroding ...

I wonder why Amazon doesn't stock and ship them themselves, it seems like a plenty popular item.

Yes there was a cat that had the stc-1000 for 19.95 shipped out of China. I got mine in about 10 days so I ordered a second one, except the price went up to 21.95 by then ... perhaps the US currency value eroding ...

I wonder why Amazon doesn't stock and ship them themselves, it seems like a plenty popular item.

Be aware that a lot of sellers on Amazon are shipping from China as well. Just because they are on Amazon doesn't mean they are in the US. Just an FYI, even though most of those that ship from China have a crazy turnaround time if you think about how far they are shipping them.

How does this unit work? Do you just wire the power supply to it or do you have to go through the thermostat?

How does this unit work? Do you just wire the power supply to it or do you have to go through the thermostat?

Theres many posts about it in the DIY

Short version is you wire it up in such a way that it powers an electrical socket, you plug your freezer into it. It measures the temperature, when it gets below that temp, it turns the power off to the freezer...when it reaches a certain amount above that temp it turns it back on.

Useful for turning chest freezers into fridge temps basically as most freezers warmest setting is well below freezing, because chest freezers in general are more efficient since you dont dump all the cold air out every time you open it like you would a stand up fridge...and you can fit way more kegs in even a small 7.1cu cf than you could in most fridges.

The stc-1000 is a thermostat, and a seemingly good one for the price. You just wire the heating or cooling contacts in series with the hot lead to your appliance and it will do the rest. Usually you would get the stc-1000 that takes control power at the same voltage as your load, but it isn't required. You could use a 12vdc stc-1000 with a 12vdc adapter for control power and still control a 120vac freezer.

The stc-1000 is a thermostat, and a seemingly good one for the price. You just wire the heating or cooling contacts in series with the hot lead to your appliance and it will do the rest. Usually you would get the stc-1000 that takes control power at the same voltage as your load, but it isn't required. You could use a 12vdc stc-1000 with a 12vdc adapter for control power and still control a 120vac freezer.

Technically i think they are all identical inside, the 220V one has regulators that goes to 10V and the 110V one goes to 9V..so anywhere in that 9-12V range should work on any unit, but require modding and pulling off the regulator and wiring in a power source.

Back