Sanke Fermenter kit thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This kit at this web address says there is no modification to the keg, but how would you get the thermowell in place. Anyone have any clues before I order this.

http://www.brewershardware.com/american-sanke-keg-fermenter-kit-with-thermowell.html :ban:

Thanks
Brian Vess

You have to remove the spear, but otherwise, it clamps on to the port. "no modification" simply means no cutting, welding, drilling, and so on. Removing the spear is not that bad once you figure out how it's done... pretty simple, really (as long as the keg's empty/depressurized)

Thanks for the reply but what is the difference with or without the thermowell and where does the thermowell go.

The thermowell goes straight down into the beer. Without the themowell you have to take the temperature from the exterior of the vessel, which is inherently more inaccurate.

IMO the "without thermowell" option is a waste of money. For about $2 you can buy an orange carboy cap and stretch it over the neck, or buy a #11.5 drilled stopper and stick it in the neck for the same effect. SS is nice (and shiny!), but $65 compared to $2 is a tough sell for me.

Without the themowell you have to take the temperature from the exterior of the vessel, which is inherently more inaccurate.

True, but the difference in my experience is pretty minor. The question you need to ask is whether or not having a slightly more accurate temp reading is worth $79 per sanke fermenter. It's not for me, but YMMV.

I appreciate all the feedback. IT is kind of pricey.

The thermowell goes straight down into the beer. Without the themowell you have to take the temperature from the exterior of the vessel, which is inherently more inaccurate.

Taping the probe to the outside is plenty accurate, provided you insulate around it as well. In fact, my experience with the brewhemoth shows that the taped probe responds more quickly than the one in the thermowell. The probe in the thermowell reads within 0.1degF of the taped one, measured at the same height. I have three RTDs on my fermenter right now, monitoring thermal stratification. I put some copper gauze in the thermowell to improve contact between the probe and the well, which helps, but the taped probes still respond more quickly.

Can you rack with CO2 with this? I see that as an advantage because I use the stoppers with my sanke fermenters.

Can you rack with CO2 with this? I see that as an advantage because I use the stoppers with my sanke fermenters.

Yep, but you can also use CO2 to transfer using the orange carboy cap and a racking cane, or with a double drilled stopper and a racking cane, or with the sanke spear and a coupler. I use the spear and coupler myself. I also have some couplers set up with spunding valves for doing pressurized fermentation and to make counter-pressure transfers easier.

Back